Vapor honing cabinet

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of building one, I have the cabinet and pump but have not assembled it yet.

I did take a few pieces to a local dirt bike shop and they charged $50 an hour so if you restore anything metal then building one has its benefits.

There are a bunch of you toob vids to watch where people have built and some go over the learning curve and changes to their systems.

This guy has a few video's that show some modifications but he doesn't have a playlist so just pick them out from his other stuff.

Edited by Ooph!
4 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I'm in the process of building one, I have the cabinet and pump but have not assembled it yet.

I did take a few pieces to a local dirt bike shop and they charged $50 an hour so if you restore anything metal then building one has its benefits.

There are a bunch of you toob vids to watch where people have built and some go over the learning curve and changes to their systems.

This guy has a few video's that show some modifications but he doesn't have a playlist so just pick them out from his other stuff.

i use one in the print shop at work but I’m not allowed to put datsun parts in it.  It cleans the parts super good.  

do you have a build list for yours?   I just don’t want to waist money on wrong parts.  Also I want to be able to fit an assembled engine in it.  

4 hours ago, Colbino said:

I have one of the vht models and I hone Datsun parts specifically if you ever need something cleaned.

For building one htmr (https://howtomotorcyclerepair.com/) sells the plans with all the part numbers and instructions to DIY one. 

I remember the old days of the internet when plans for cool things were free.  

how long do you think it would take to do an engine? 

1 hour ago, SWFL said:

I've never heard of this. Is it like wet sand or abrasive blasting? Is it a dust OSHA thing?

Watch some videos.  They are amazing.  I’m not sure why the water helps but it makes the  parts look like new.  

2 hours ago, Icehouse said:

i use one in the print shop at work but I’m not allowed to put datsun parts in it.  It cleans the parts super good.  

do you have a build list for yours?   I just don’t want to waist money on wrong parts.  Also I want to be able to fit an assembled engine in it.  

Sorry I thought the video I linked had his build list, its in this one. Click to watch on youtube then expand the description under the video.

I bought the pump on Amazon instead of ebay

Why would you want an entire engine in it? that would make for a large cabinet, I have seen video's on how to make your own using plywood and waterproofing it, so you could fab your own.

Edited by Ooph!
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Vapor? Honing? Neither term applies really. It's sand blasting using water. It's closer to water jet blasting. Does someone own the rights to the name sand blasting?

Not sure why it has that name.  Like Carter pointed out, thermos is now a "water flask" Fancy names are cool! Or maybe it's just a water down version haha dad joke!  Also I think it uses glass beads.  I just like how it makes old stuff look new.    

• Like 1