putting a roadster engine in a 1966 411

2002jm

ok, most likely been asked a million times, but I have a chance to buy a 1967.5 roadster engine and a 1966 411.

Is there any step by step threads on how to do this? I know about the strange exhaust pipe coming out of the fender and the tilting of 

the intake, but I assume there are tons of other things I need to know.

thanks, 

jm

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine is too long to fit in the ordinary 411 sedan! The water pump and fan / fanbelt and alternator are about an inch too far forward and will interfere with the radiator.  The factory modified the roadster engine to fit.  The water pump shaft was shortened by about an inch, The fan attach spinner was redesigned into a bell shape to fit

and a new fan with large diameter mounting hole was designed, [You can work around this by using the roadster water pump and replacing the roadster fan spinner with a RL411 spinner - good luck on finding one - and finding a RL411 fan - again good luck]. You will need very good engine mounts as about a half inch space will exist between the pump shaft and the radiator core.  You could cut an inch off!  I experimented with shimming a roadster fan blade onto the roadster shaft fan spinner to clear my RL411 hoses and belts with disastrous results. I had to use a very flat flex after-market fan blade in order to fit and it eventually failed due to flex and ate the radiator.  

Also be aware that the 1967.5 engine is metric and the normal RL411 engine is SAE threads.

You will have to engineer a replacement exhaust system due to your noted different exhaust.

I hope the engine comes with carbs!

I am forgetting more obstacles but may add them later.  The swap is do-able but will make you tear anu remaining hair out,  Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

The intake is shorter on the 411 SSS R16 so the SUs don't tangle with the left side engine compartment. Custom air socks might work.

The oil pan is shallower on the 411 SSS R16 engine. 

Although the 411 SSS R16 did have an automatic option it was rarely ordered. If the 411 you're looking at is an automatic, and the roadster only came with manuals, you'll have to rig up a slave cylinder and pedal, hard line and flex line. If it's a manual you're probably good to go. The roadster transmissions are similar to the 521/510 4 speeds with the bottom oil pan but I think 31.5" long.

Nice info Mike.

Hi: Sounds like this could be a big project. The 411 comes with engine and transmission so quess that would help. Has anyone used an electric after market fan and left the 

roadster fan off....more room??? So motor mounts would have to be made..does anyone make these, or is this really not a swap that is done very often?

thanks for all the good information, a lot for me to think through, but seems doable:)

thanks, 

jm

6 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

Sounds like u should just find a SSS, even then, finding some replacement parts can be a challenge. 

Maintaining a 55-year-old engine and auto requires ingenuity and perseverance. Ask me how I know!  I bought my RL411 new and hoarded parts as I found them.  Even so I have Buick, Kia Sephia and Ford Police Interceptor parts that keep me running.  I found out that JDFM brake master cylinders for domestic 1500 roadsters fit even though they carry a warning that outlet connections are on the wrong side, Japanese wrong side is export correct side! Master cylinder has a small fluid container but unless you want to race it is sufficient.  You could even swap an original larger fluid contained from another master cylinder if you want to. All it takes is a screwdriver to loosen the wire fastener.

The RL and P 411 is a rugged car! Mine survived my wife and 3 children learning to drive and taking their road tests in it.

Speaking of hoarding - I saved all original parts that I removed down to the original Spark plug wires and distributer cap so that I could restore the car to as delivered appearance [and soak NISSAN USA for it as a display model in the future].  I noticed that the RL411 that NISSAN picked up for their Tennedee display has the wrong trunk emblem.  It has a PL411 emblem.

• Like 1

You can have a lot of fun in a 1300cc motor with a 2 barrel Weber Carb. Otherwise the rotary swap looks fun,. I think there are more options for swapping newer motors these days. There are some ideas here, like Suzuki motors and things like that. The R16 swap is a lot of work so beware. You may as well do the KA24 swap as it is about as much work!

DD

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Datsunscott said:

Bump- Mike what do those oe plug wires look like?

Answered in response to separate question.  For the rest of the world, they are black and imprinted with Nissan or Datsun and numbered according to cylinder or main coil that they feed, I have saved the original harness and will bring it to this year's JCCS if there is any interest  I have saved every original pat [less oil,oil filters, distributor caps and rotors. spark plugs and disposables] so that I could restore my car to "as delivered" condition if I so desire,

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

Come on by! My address is 26929 Grayslake Road Rancho Palos Verdes 

. just call ahead to ensure I will be home. 231 541 6425 [do not share further, I get enough junk calls and do

n't need more]. 

meant to be posted in message section, I don'e solicit stray responses and will hang up on junk responses.