datsun 521 pickup dating help

hi,

can anyone help with any dating material for datsun 521 pickup 1500cc 

i have an imported pickup from south africa and need to register it with dvla but no car clubs so far can find any details for that vehicle.

has anyone got any glass's guides commercial check books with my model in.

i have wrote to nissan but no replies...

#PLEASE help

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The production date is usually on the driver's door jam.

There is also a 'Car Number Plate' on the cowl (firewall) above and behind the engine valve cover. This identifies it as a 520 or 521 truck and has the equivalent of a VIN or car number. This car number is also stamped into the cowl nearby and onto the top of the right side frame I think behind the engine mount, maybe in front.

If this was a North American PL521 I could perhaps narrow the year down by the car number. We didn't get the J series in the 521 only the 520 and the L521

Nissan might be more help if you supply them with all this information?

The door jamb ID plate shows the production date & the VIN #.  The engine compartment ID plate shows the model, the VIN #, the engine # and a couple other useless things, but NOT the production date.  I have seen charts online for the more popular 240Z's & the 510/1600's, showing a relationship with the VIN # vs the production date, but that kind of info is very limited out of Japan.............they simply did not keep good records! 

It sounds like it is required to have the door jamb plate in the UK, with the production date?  Somebody online was reproducing the VIN plates in BLANK, so you could stamp them with your own vehicle info, however I only remember seeing the popular Z cars plates made, which are made FOR the Z cars, with Z car only info!  The other issue there is, is that the USA DOT (Dept of Transportation) is very strict & might have contacted the seller & ordered a cease & desist (stop selling), cuz Federal law prohibits ANY & ALL tampering with VIN #'s.  We are not "allowed" to re-stamp a VIN # by law!  I was always baffled how Banks in the UK could take a much newer classic Mini, swap the VIN # on from an early classic Mini junker, creating a more modern classic Mini titled as an older classic Mini!?  They shipped 100's of them over here to the States.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Yeah it will be screwed on so 4 small screw holes. Who knows what they did in SA.

Yup, this is the problem............could be different than USA or UK requirements.  I think all of the USA spec door jamb plates were riveted on & the engine bay plates were screwed on..........??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Very possible. I have the car numbers by year for the 521.

For example the PL521 '72 model year June '71 to June '72 were car numbers 587,182 to 910,001

Well THAT is a great start for him!  He can estimate the production date.  The problem in any country would be "estimating" a VIN #...............which you can't do!   The part that might be difficult is finding a blank VIN plate for the door jamb........again, I think all I've seen is for the 240Z, which would have "HLS30" printed on the plate, thus incorrect for the 521!

So I just checked eBay........there are quite a few actual VIN plates available (I haven't looked in a while!), HOWEVER they are the VIN plates in the engine compartment for specific cars, NOT the door jamb plates with the production date.  Here is one (hope the link works!).  I have messaged the seller asking if the production date stamping is left BLANK, so a buyer can stamp what they need (the pic shows the plate as stamped.........??).  I will message back later, once I hear from the seller!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302007615466?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=302007615466&targetid=1645685074288&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9028785&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685074288&abcId=9300841&merchantid=113577379&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOSR8uz5-gIVYxB9Ch3FNAsjEAQYCCABEgKAZvD_BwE

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Very possible. I have the car numbers by year for the 521.

For example the PL521 '72 model year June '71 to June '72 were car numbers 587,182 to 910,001

Maybe you & original poster here can talk about his specific VIN # privately?  He never stated what YEAR his truck is...........??

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yenpit said:

Well THAT is a great start for him!  He can estimate the production date.  The problem in any country would be "estimating" a VIN #...............which you can't do!   The part that might be difficult is finding a blank VIN plate for the door jamb........again, I think all I've seen is for the 240Z, which would have "HLS30" printed on the plate, thus incorrect for the 521!

So I just checked eBay........there are quite a few actual VIN plates available (I haven't looked in a while!), HOWEVER they are the VIN plates in the engine compartment for specific cars, NOT the door jamb plates with the production date.  Here is one (hope the link works!).  I have messaged the seller asking if the production date stamping is left BLANK, so a buyer can stamp what they need (the pic shows the plate as stamped.........??).  I will message back later, once I hear from the seller!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302007615466?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=302007615466&targetid=1645685074288&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9028785&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685074288&abcId=9300841&merchantid=113577379&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOSR8uz5-gIVYxB9Ch3FNAsjEAQYCCABEgKAZvD_BwE

I also just looked closer to this pic.............the model # (ie a 240Z is HLS30******) is PRE-printed on the plate, so that doesn't work for this guy!  Maybe he can buy this plate & find someone in the UK that can copy it, but with the 521 model # printed instead.......??  I heard these are silk screen printed, so copying & modifying could work, but creating a one-off plate could be expensive!  Like the USA, if a new plate "looks" wanky, they might fail it at the UK's dvla........then what?  Do they "mark" the VIN # in the data base as NOT able to register??  Ugh, these VIN # things can be impossible............😖

• Like 1

I think you guys forgot about the vin # being on the frame.....

If you are looking in the engine bay, it's on the left side frame rail behind the control arm towards the cab....

Atleast you'll have something correct to track....

Actually Mike may have  briefly mentioned it....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

I think it's on the right top frame (as seen from the driver's seat rather than LHD/RHD confusion saying driver's side) I think to the rear of the engine mount? The 620 and 720 are forward of the engine mount because there's room, where the J series mounts are more forward on the block?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, yenpit said:

So the OP could buy this plate, potentially have the pre-printed PREFIX of the VIN# carefully removed & re-printed with his PREFIX, then stamped (seller calls it "engraved") with the remainder of the VIN # (to match his existing VIN) & his guess at a production date, hopefully based on datzenmike's info!  The OP is NOT altering the VIN #, just "covering his needs" with his UK vehicle registration.  I think that is the best option.............

OP is MIA ☹️............hope this helps! 😁

• Like 1

Back before '82? when the universal 17 digit VINs came out, all car makers had their own code for the vehicle identification. On the 521 it was simply the 6 digit 'car number' with a PL521 prefix. P for L16/18? and L for left hand drive (may not apply in SA RHD? and J series may be a different prefix or none like here for the J13) so would be blank.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Back before '82? when the universal 17 digit VINs came out, all car makers had their own code for the vehicle identification. On the 521 it was simply the 6 digit 'car number' with a PL521 prefix. P for L16/18? and L for left hand drive (may not apply in SA RHD? and J series may be a different prefix or none like here for the J13) so would be blank.

Agree!  So I think with some imagination, the plate above on FleaBay could be carefully modified/altered to read "P521" (no L, cuz likely a RHD), then stamp the VIN # & production date.

The 17 digit VIN started with 1980 models.  It is a 30-year schedule, so it rolled over back to "A" in 2010 model year.  

The system uses 21 letter digits (skipping I, O, Q, U and Z) then 1-9 numerical digits. 

Some auto makers did but wasn't mandated till '81 model year vehicles. I believe Nissan started in '81. Also the '81 model years start in June of the previous year so although an '80 model year it will have an '80 build date. For example the first 720 VINs had B for the 10th digit. B is '81