Fan clutch or no clutch?

Veraciousreasoning

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll,I found you one..Part look's almost new. It's located right up the road from me.I bought parts from this guy,he goes to junk yards and gets 720 parts,he is a cool dude,he sold me a like new hood release cable for 20 bucks.Also visit his store on his Ebay page.Mike might know him,he was a member of 720 world and not long ago,he sold his 720 on Ebay for 11 grand.You will need the lower shroud,let me see if I can find it.I just sent him a message to see if he has the lower shroud to go with this.https://www.ebay.com/itm/185235631494?hash=item2b20e76d86:g:4YoAAOSw~IhhzNwU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoObIljOGe7NvAJcm7goOl8TO2xwsyMuI1rNpehTY6p%2FRt6l6uBpjfWpt3a491C0JkZr3Ol8IHOFRtPr4aIAYAx9fCdM0OOUEz%2BWrU94%2FSVil7XnJg9%2Bk4LZ%2ByoipHHRY8%2F%2Btr0d7SQHjiXa6IUnJLSGLeoOCgdyAbxLoZ0mcPlkdvtfDz5bOBZBxYPpTut163XMA5dD%2FclpCGpWINUYQic8%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_iGm4qEYQ

s-l1600 (20).jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

We'll,I found you one..Part look's almost new. It's located right up the road from me.I bought parts from this guy,he goes to junk yards and gets 720 parts,he is a cool dude,he sold me a like new hood release cable for 20 bucks.Also visit his store on his Ebay page.Mike might know him,he was a member of 720 world and not long ago,he sold his 720 on Ebay for 11 grand.You will need the lower shroud,let me see if I can find it.I just sent him a message to see if he has the lower shroud to go with this.https://www.ebay.com/itm/185235631494?hash=item2b20e76d86:g:4YoAAOSw~IhhzNwU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoObIljOGe7NvAJcm7goOl8TO2xwsyMuI1rNpehTY6p%2FRt6l6uBpjfWpt3a491C0JkZr3Ol8IHOFRtPr4aIAYAx9fCdM0OOUEz%2BWrU94%2FSVil7XnJg9%2Bk4LZ%2ByoipHHRY8%2F%2Btr0d7SQHjiXa6IUnJLSGLeoOCgdyAbxLoZ0mcPlkdvtfDz5bOBZBxYPpTut163XMA5dD%2FclpCGpWINUYQic8%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_iGm4qEYQ

s-l1600 (20).jpg

That would be sweet as fuck lol

• Like 1
On 10/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, Veraciousreasoning said:

Hey all,

So as many of you know im in the process of doing a deep dive into my engine to get a broken bolt out. When i put back together i am changing out the water pump. However, im debating on a water pump with a fan clutch as my fan should fit both. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I know the clutch only turns on the fan when it reaches a certain temp but wondering if it does anything else. 

Also, when i got my 1980 720 it didn't have a fan clutch. Wondering if anyone who has one as well if they had a fan clutch or not...

Since you have an '80 like I do, I'll chime in. I've run both. I had a clutch fan water pump on my truck from what must have been a later engine since I don't think the L20 came with a clutch fan, and believe it or not, it worked fine until the pump bearing seized up. It fit right on, surprisingly enough.

HOWEVER...I wound up putting a flex fan on it from what must have been a VW, and it works great! The thing is, I still have the shroud on it. As DatzenMike said, that is a big key to this. A Derale flex fan would cool that truck with no problem if you want to go that route. I think the sizes are there.