Datsun 510 manual conversion

Mex510

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to need the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder from a 510, the trans can be used from various L engine equipped type cars. But, you will most likely have to shorten your driveshaft with most of them and modify or replace the trans mount. 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, Mex510 said:

In the process of swapping the automatic to manual . Is there any part number that helps me to identify a box manual assembly for the 510 ? Are the Z box assembly compatible with the 510 

I'll just say that any L series transmission 4 or 6 cylinder will bolt to any other L series engine.

Same length as your automatic? there's the 521 and 620 truck, from another 510, a 710 and the A10 for 4 speeds. The '77-'79 S10 200sx has a 5 speed and same length. Aggravating shift pattern with reverse above first. Terrible for in town. (good luck finding one)

Then there's the 6 cylinder 71B 5 speeds, optional in the '77-'78 280 zed, the '79-'83 280 zedx (optional first year and standard after) the '78-'80 810 and the '81-'84 Maxima (all six cylinder cars) the 620 truck, (optional) one year only in the '80 720 truck. (optional) As you can see the 71B is much more common and built for use with a six cylinder. The down side? it's 5.5" longer than your transmission so the drive shaft will need to be shortened.

• Like 2

I can't find a definitive answer to that. I suspect that they are all the same or close. There's no advantage to having one for manual and one for automatic in the production process. Two of everything, two part numbers, inventory, when welding them on the worker has to make just manual and just automatic boxes. Easier faster cheaper to make them all the same and it's used or not used on the sub assembly line. It's like the wire harness. Imagine all the possible combinations of options..... tach, gauges, air con, radio, cruise, P windows etc. Better to have everything on one harness and connect it as needed rather than having 50 different harnesses.

I can help identify a correct 510 pedal box assembly by pics of what you have.............post here via the "drag files or choose files" in lower left corner of this window & your reply window!  Or I can send you my text or email.........let me know!  If what you bought is incorrect, I will have the correct 510 pedal box assembly. 

Correct, the automatic pedal BOX will not have the L bracket that the clutch pedal return spring anchors to.  I have bolted an L bracket in place & I have very CAREFULLY welded an L bracket in place with the pedal box in the car.  The pedals will bolt right in to the auto pedal box, or you can swap out the whole pedal box, thus alleviating the need to improvise the L bracket!

Also, have you researched the need to "jump the wires" on the auto wiring harness down at the neutral safety switch?  The car will NOT start without it!  And, the auto reverse lights run thru the neutral safety switch (which you are bypassing), so you will need to wire up the reverse lights if you desire to have them work!  I wrote up both here on Ratsun 10+ years ago, likely under "electrical", likely titled something to the effect of "auto to manual wiring" and "auto to manual reverse lights"..................sorry been a LONG time & I don't navigate the search function well here on Ratsun! 😆