Datsun 620 modern style seat belt

JumboFett

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

King cabs mount the center two anchors differently so get a regular cab belt set from '76 and on. These use a single latch shoulder/lap belt. I don't think the mounting point for the retractor on the floor at the base of the B pillar will match anything on the '74. The top one might fit an existing threaded hole.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

King cabs mount the center two anchors differently so get a regular cab belt set from '76 and on. These use a single latch shoulder/lap belt. I don't think the mounting point for the retractor on the floor at the base of the B pillar will match anything on the '74. The top one might fit an existing threaded hole.

Thank you 🙏

Just to be clear, you’re suggesting I may have to make a new mounting point on the floor in order to make it work?

In related news, I’m surprised almost daily that someone with the means and the know how hasn’t capitalized on the gaping aftermarket void present in the Datsun 620 community. The Chevy guy in me is thoroughly bewildered!

12 hours ago, JumboFett said:

In related news, I’m surprised almost daily that someone with the means and the know how hasn’t capitalized on the gaping aftermarket void present in the Datsun 620 community. The Chevy guy in me is thoroughly bewildered!

There are aftermarket guys that specialize in Datsuns, but mostly car related, not truck.

Why do I think the Datsun truck aftermarket is not a sound business model? Because Datsun truck owners are notoriously CHEAP BASTARDS.

No offense guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There are aftermarket guys that specialize in Datsuns, but mostly car related, not truck.

Why do I think the Datsun truck aftermarket is not a sound business model? Because Datsun truck owners are notoriously CHEAP BASTARDS.

No offense guys.

I, for one, take great offense, as I have been willing to spend money like a drunken sailor in service of my obsession and mission objective!! 😂

I literally just got off the phone with Auburn Gear asking if they made diffs outside of their catalog, specifically those for the H190 rear end. Apparently they used to broker diffs for a Japanese manufacturer but they stopped years ago. I implored them to explore the HUGE Japanese classic market that has sprung up in the last decade; to even start Datsun forum accounts to research market interest and to see for themselves that they could corner the Datsun LSD market with minimal R&D! They showed interest in the prospect, but I’d be surprised if they follow through. 
I took a similar tact with Flaming River.
I tell you what, if I could figure out a R&P solution using Flaming River products my efforts will be plastered all over this site, and we can finally lay to rest the mystery of the gahtdamn rack & pinion solution. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Datsun trucks don't really have traction problems to need an LSD. They are a lot of money for something along for the ride. Over steer is also a lot easier to recover from with an open differential.

Dude, in this house when we break em loose we wanna see two wheels spinnin! I don’t want some peg leg stealing my thunder. 

Some things are just worth the extra money 💸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, JumboFett said:

That’s an awesome lead! Thank you!

I don’t see an option for buckle style, was that a customization done over the phone?

I think this is the one

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498135-3-point-lap-shoulder-retractable-seat-belt-lift-latch-buckle.html?ref=category:1389192

But if I recall, I had to talk to the guy on the phone about the mounting point. He really knew his shit and hooked it up.

Its been a while so I dont remember all the details...

• Thanks 1
On 9/24/2022 at 6:32 AM, FrankRizzo said:

I think this is the one

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498135-3-point-lap-shoulder-retractable-seat-belt-lift-latch-buckle.html?ref=category:1389192

But if I recall, I had to talk to the guy on the phone about the mounting point. He really knew his shit and hooked it up.

Its been a while so I dont remember all the details...

I used similar for my 521 - one detail I didn't anticipate was orientation of the fixed shoulder mount, piece below. It's bent at angle so only mounts one way - mounted to 'wall' of cab would have been fine, but mounted to floor (behind seat) caused a half twist in belt. Difference between perfect install and irritating flaw.

Seat Belt Planet can sew custom, but it's tricky to plan how belts lay when installed without testing.

Snap10.jpg

They have those 90 degree angle mounting brackets that can bolt to the floor and then change the belt end to a vertical orientation.  I used them for the inside lap buckle position on my 510. 

Short:  https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498162-mounting-angle-brackets.html?ref=category:1389311

Long: https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499785-extended-l-bracket-black.html?ref=category:1389311

On 9/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Tucson620 said:

I used similar for my 521 - one detail I didn't anticipate was orientation of the fixed shoulder mount, piece below. It's bent at angle so only mounts one way - mounted to 'wall' of cab would have been fine, but mounted to floor (behind seat) caused a half twist in belt. Difference between perfect install and irritating flaw.

Seat Belt Planet can sew custom, but it's tricky to plan how belts lay when installed without testing.

Would something like that work in your situation?