Joecar

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Joecar said:

So i noticed this while driving and was confused on what this could be but whenever i go to turn my blinker on, the bulbs stay on 

Just on one side? If so check for a bulb that is burnt out on that side. If both sides light then swap turn signal with the 4 way emergency flasher. If that gets them working then the flasher unit is bad.

31 minutes ago, Joecar said:

A

Also the hazard switch is stuck so i cant turn it on either

Split the plastic clam shell around the steering colum to get at the 4 way switch. You may be able to take it apart and loosen it. Other than that you will have to replace it.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Just on one side? If so check for a bulb that is burnt out on that side. If both sides light then swap turn signal with the 4 way emergency flasher. If that gets them working then the flasher unit is bad.

Split the plastic clam shell around the steering colum to get at the 4 way switch. You may be able to take it apart and loosen it. Other than that you will have to replace it.

Both sides are doing the same and the switch is stuck so that means i need to replace the entire assembly?

Power to the turn signals has to pass through the 4 way switch. When the 4 way is on the turn signals are disconnected then connected back up when the 4 way is turned off. As the 4 way is 'stuck' possibly the turn signal problem will resolve itself if the 4 way is fixed.

Finding another 4 way switch may be harder than simply taking apart and cleaning it. The 720 4 way switch has a problem of sliding too far when placed in the off position. It goes past the turn signal contacts and disconnects them causing the turns to be inoperative. Usually moving the switch slightly towards the 4 way position connects them back up.

Most times you don't even need to take it apart to clean it. I squirt them down with WD40 and switch them back and forth until the motion is free again, then I blow it off with air then wipe it down. If you can fit a small wire brush in there, or even an old toothbrush, this will help clean the contacts and get the gunk out of the mechanism.

Same goes for the hazard switch. Squirt it with WD40 then try working it back and forth. Be careful you don't break the plastic knob.

If either switch is really dirty, I will spray it with Purple Power first then hose it off, and then do the WD40.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, datzenmike said:

Power to the turn signals has to pass through the 4 way switch. When the 4 way is on the turn signals are disconnected then connected back up when the 4 way is turned off. As the 4 way is 'stuck' possibly the turn signal problem will resolve itself if the 4 way is fixed.

Finding another 4 way switch may be harder than simply taking apart and cleaning it. The 720 4 way switch has a problem of sliding too far when placed in the off position. It goes past the turn signal contacts and disconnects them causing the turns to be inoperative. Usually moving the switch slightly towards the 4 way position connects them back up.

I cleaned the 4 ways and they work bow but my blinkers still are just not working the green arrow is just staying on 

1661909769965682956037931725907.jpg

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Just the right side????? Take a look at the front and rear right signal lamps. The one that is not lit is burned out.

Its both sides and whenever i have them on all the lights work. The only thing i have done really is put some LED brake bulbs that were laying around that i had so could that be the problem?

7 hours ago, Joecar said:

Its both sides and whenever i have them on all the lights work. The only thing i have done really is put some LED brake bulbs that were laying around that i had so could that be the problem?

Try switching back to regular bulbs and see if the problem goes away....

They make adjustable flasher relays so you can adjust how fast or slow they flash.... I had to do that when I used leds in my taillights...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175356504551?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hxzu6dwjs_m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20220831-083119_eBay.jpg

The Datsun flashers are load dependent. They are designed to work with two incandescent filament bulbs per side. I added a 7 or 8 ohm 20 watt* resister to the left and the right side flasher circuit to simulate each 20 watt bulb.... and away I went.

* 1.6 amps through 7 ohms resistance is going to generate some heat so use 20 watt resistance to be safe. You can go higher wattage if you want but 20 minimum.

20 watt bulb

20 watts is 1.66 amps current flow

12 volts/1.66 amps is 7.22 ohms resistance   

• Like 1
On 8/31/2022 at 5:32 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Try switching back to regular bulbs and see if the problem goes away....

They make adjustable flasher relays so you can adjust how fast or slow they flash.... I had to do that when I used leds in my taillights...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175356504551?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hxzu6dwjs_m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20220831-083119_eBay.jpg

Swithed back to regular bulbs and still not working. Its weird cause it worked before and then it stopped

On 8/31/2022 at 6:20 AM, datzenmike said:

The Datsun flashers are load dependent. They are designed to work with two incandescent filament bulbs per side. I added a 7 or 8 ohm 20 watt* resister to the left and the right side flasher circuit to simulate each 20 watt bulb.... and away I went.

* 1.6 amps through 7 ohms resistance is going to generate some heat so use 20 watt resistance to be safe. You can go higher wattage if you want but 20 minimum.

20 watt bulb

20 watts is 1.66 amps current flow

12 volts/1.66 amps is 7.22 ohms resistance   

Went back to the incandescent bulbs but still not working