86 Nissan wont start now

Joecar

So i got my truck running after a couple years of sitting and it ran perfect but qhen i took it out for a drive i ran out of fuel. So i towed it back home put 5 gallons in it and it wont start. Replaced the fuel filter and i can hear the fuel pump engage but tuck still wont fire any suggestions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Joecar said:

So i got my truck running after a couple years of sitting and it ran perfect but qhen i took it out for a drive i ran out of fuel. So i towed it back home put 5 gallons in it and it wont start. Replaced the fuel filter and i can hear the fuel pump engage but tuck still wont fire any suggestions?

The reason it ran out of gas is because my gauge doesnt work

37 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

pour soem gas into the carb and see if it fires then> That means you got spark ignition and compression. just gas isnt getting to the carb.

If you pour gas in there and nothing maybe no spark

I used some starting fluid and gas in the carb and works but then dies

Look at the sight glass on the front of the carburetor. If no gas showing then it's not being delivered. Pump is having a hard time priming.

There should be a filter between pump and the tank and there is a filter hidden under the twist off bottom of the electric pump.

43 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Look at the sight glass on the front of the carburetor. If no gas showing then it's not being delivered. Pump is having a hard time priming.

There should be a filter between pump and the tank and there is a filter hidden under the twist off bottom of the electric pump.

16606071422079126247108952164711.jpg

Sitting for years = remove all the hoses, filters, check the pump for function, check the pump wires and connections, blow out all the hard lines and blow back through the pickup in the tank.

Install new filter, hoses, pump (if required), clamps, etc.

This entire job will take an hour or two, and everything will be verified to work. The condition of the hoses in your pic tells me that this would be the best way to proceed. Rusty hose clamps is a sign that nobody has touched them for a very long time.

5 hours ago, powderfinger said:

The hose between the pump and the filter appears to be bent very sharp. Hard to tell from the pic if its so sharp that the fuel can't flow but you can see the sides of the hose bulging out at the bend.

Yeah i have to fix that but before i changed it it worked fine like that so its probably something but ill move it back and try to see if that works

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Try filling the filter with fuel as best you can and no pinch points at bends. Hose clamps snug. Pump is having trouble pulling gas up and through the empty filter.

So if it works then with hose not bent and filter having gas in it would it be a pump problem?

It ran out of gas. If it worked before then no reason to believe something has failed and it should work now. However the last gas drawn out of the tank might have particulate crap and perhaps a small amount of water in it. This could block the filter. If water was pumped into the carburetor it will be on the bottom of the float chamber as it's heavier than gas it will block the jets. It won't start on water.

Take the air filter top off and hold the choke plate full open. Use a flashlight to look down the primary barrel. Pump the throttle repeatedly. If carburetor has anything in it you should see strong squirts from the accelerator pump. This may be gas... in which case the engine should try to start. If water keep pumping till it clears and is replaced with fresh gas from the tank. Expect it to run rough till the water clears completely. Several small bottles of gas line anti freeze to the tank will absorb what water is left.

Gas line antifreeze is just pure alcohol. Alcohol mixes with gas and with water and holds water in suspension allowing it to run through the carburetor and the engine harmlessly. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to upgrade your fuel system.Get it back to Oem specs.I always have used Oem fuel pumps.Nissan still has them for sale.Also get some 5/16 fuel hoses and new clamps.Also replace the 2 fuel lines near the starter and new clamps.Here is mine.I keep a extra new fuel pump and both filters,the one that goes in it and the big one that is in front of it.The 2 fuel lines with the clamps need to be replaced too.Check out the picture.Mine has leaked their before.

100_7228.jpg

100_7235.jpg

100_7222.jpg

100_9264.jpg

100_9262.jpg

100_7209.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It ran out of gas. If it worked before then no reason to believe something has failed and it should work now. However the last gas drawn out of the tank might have particulate crap and perhaps a small amount of water in it. This could block the filter. If water was pumped into the carburetor it will be on the bottom of the float chamber as it's heavier than gas it will block the jets. It won't start on water.

Take the air filter top off and hold the choke plate full open. Use a flashlight to look down the primary barrel. Pump the throttle repeatedly. If carburetor has anything in it you should see strong squirts from the accelerator pump. This may be gas... in which case the engine should try to start. If water keep pumping till it clears and is replaced with fresh gas from the tank. Expect it to run rough till the water clears completely. Several small bottles of gas line anti freeze to the tank will absorb what water is left.

Gas line antifreeze is just pure alcohol. Alcohol mixes with gas and with water and holds water in suspension allowing it to run through the carburetor and the engine harmlessly. 

Found out the hose was the problem it was leaking cause ths hose was bent so got some new hose and it starts up perfectly. Thanks

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Sounds like you need to upgrade your fuel system.Get it back to Oem specs.I always have used Oem fuel pumps.Nissan still has them for sale.Also get some 5/16 fuel hoses and new clamps.Also replace the 2 fuel lines near the starter and new clamps.Here is mine.I keep a extra new fuel pump and both filters,the one that goes in it and the big one that is in front of it.The 2 fuel lines with the clamps need to be replaced too.Check out the picture.Mine has leaked their before.

100_7228.jpg

100_7235.jpg

100_7222.jpg

100_9264.jpg

100_9262.jpg

100_7209.jpg

Im thinking of getting an OEM pump soon