Clutch/brake hydraulic seals

ttyR2

After visiting my local auto parts shops, I get the distinct impression that no one rebuilds brake/clutch cylinders anymore. The clutch slave on my 521 puked fluid out. I was able to hone the bore back to perfection, but I'm not finding anything for replacement seals. Do any of you guys have a good source? Or do I have to just buy a whole new cylinder?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the Rhinopack pne up close says Nabco which is the Japan made unit unless it just uses the photo

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1971/nissan/521_pickup/clutch/clutch_slave_cylinder.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1524530&cc=1212321&pt=2044&jsn=381

with a stock clutch the chinese/taiwan Italy ones are OK as the stock clutches are weak. the Japan unit last forever. water is what kills them

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Correct, hard to find rebuild kits at any parts store these days.  I have quite a few NOS kits, but I have never researched fitment of what I have.  If YOU can come up with an old Beck Arnley, Vera, CEW or OEM Datsun part #'s, I am happy to see if I have what you need!  You will need to dig deep, cuz most of these old "paper catalog" databases are not easily found.

You can post here & hopefully the system will notify me OR better yet, send me a PM!

• Like 1

Couple of years ago mine began leaking. Was in a hurry and bought the $20 NAPA special slave. I took it apart and checked for aluminum chips and dust in the bore and lubed it with brake fluid so it wouldn't start dry. Bled it and so far no problems including sitting for several 6 month stretches.... however... The 'rubber seal' was soft/floppy and felt like it was cast out of RTV where all seals before this were firm* like made out of car tire rubber. Not impressed with these but like I said no complaints yet.

* I did find a rebuild kit from the Nissan dealer for my 620 probably 20 years ago for $15. Had everything but the push rod, casting and the piston inside. Real stiff firm rubber seal, spring, push rod dust boot, bleeder with rubber cap. Impressive.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've heard of some crossover parts, but haven't thought much about hydraulic parts!!??  Hmmmmmmmm.......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

521 and earlier 521 320 trucks and Roadsters I believe use mostly SAE threads or british what ever they used as Nissan made lots of British car earlier after the war to get ecomomy going.

FYI all British cars after the early 1950's are SAE............it is a myth that they are Whitworth or metric.  The pre-early 50's were British Whitworth.    However, like GM & Ford did in the 1980's on some cars, British Leyland started MIXING hardware on the 1975-1981 Triumph TR7, from SAE to metric...............40+ years in the British parts industry & I have no explanation WHY they did that, cuz it only made things worse!

Yup, I found out shortly after buying my 1972 521, that much (maybe all??) of the hardware is SAE.  They guy I got it from was also unaware, cuz he jammed a few metric bolts in where they should have been SAE!

All of that said, I think what Stoffregen & I are suggesting, is that the INTERNAL parts on the hydraulic components, ie pistons & seals etc, might be the same as the British of that same era, because the Japanese DID license some parts from the British ie the SU carburetors, which Hitachi made in to their own.  I simply never thought of a possible crossover! 

• Like 1