Noob with a 620, looking to KA Swap

elderado

Hey Guys, 

So I'm about to scoop up a 620 KC roller and want to swap in a KA24DE. Im new to the datsun world and wanted to know what to expect with this swap.

Will I need to modify anything to make it fit? Is there a solid build thread/write up I can follow along with? What are some important components you'd recommend? And my biggest question, since I'm in Florida I NEED a/c, how difficult will that be to fit into the engine bay? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome. I actually have mounts for this swap to make it a bolt in thing.
If it is a 240sx KA you will need to flip the steering center link. 

Here is a link to my mounts.

and a link to my original swap thread. 

22 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Thank you! Very helpful!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Here's a crazy question while were at it...want to sell it? lol

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

That is a big NO. But thanks for asking 🙂

haha couldnt help myself 🙂 totally understand though.

so instead of going back and forth, would you mind if I gave you a call and picked your brain a bit? I found a full running and driving frontier for cheap and am thinking of just picking that up to swap everything over. Thoughts?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Measure the wheelbase. If same as your 620 why not look at swapping the cab and box onto the Frontier?

not a horrible idea but the datsun im getting has a lot upgrades including a freshly powder coated frame so its super clean just needs a heart lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, elderado said:

IDK why but it wont let me upload a photo

I believe this site allows only third party hosting for pics. I don't think you can upload from your phone. I use Photobucket, but only because I have a paid account there. Other hosting sites are easier to use and free.

3 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I believe this site allows only third party hosting for pics. I don't think you can upload from your phone. I use Photobucket, but only because I have a paid account there. Other hosting sites are easier to use and free.

yeah tried with flickr and it didnt work for some reason

yeah I know, not paying a monthly fee for a photo unfortunately haha just tried photobucket and it wont allow me to upload unless I set up monthly payments.

Its a 78 KC perfect baby blue paint, no rust, powder coated frame, super straight, maybe one of the best ones I've seen in my 2-3 year search. Wish I could post a photo of it 😞

Paying a bit more than I want at $4k but honestly the ones I'm seeing for not much less are rusted and need enough work done that I'd end up spending more than that to get it in the condition of this one.

I can send a photo to you pretty much in any other way than posing on here I guess haha, tried multiple other ways and nothing seems to work.

When you are replying to the topic is there an image of a paperclip in the lower left? See my example, that's where you post pictures on the site no 3rd party required. There used to be a minimum post count required not sure anymore.

Pic location.jpg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Well, I can post a pic, but I can't show the image code...

It should start with [URL... and end with something like [ IMG] [ URL]

I sent you a photo via your motorsports Facebook. 

7 hours ago, elderado said:

No I don't have that. Too new maybe? IDK lol

Sorry guys, lame I know 😞

Yep, you need a certain number of posts, I forget how many. 

Frontier is a great candidate for swapping, you won't have to modify the steering with the rear sump. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:52 AM, elderado said:

haha couldnt help myself 🙂 totally understand though.

so instead of going back and forth, would you mind if I gave you a call and picked your brain a bit? I found a full running and driving frontier for cheap and am thinking of just picking that up to swap everything over. Thoughts?

PM Sent

On 7/29/2022 at 7:34 PM, elderado said:

Hey there, same here! I am picking up my 1973 on Thursday - plan on doing the same thing. No-AC for now, but planning a KA/Turbo -- Here we go! Good Luck

So I spoke with ]2eDeYe extensively and he has been super helpful with all my ignorant questions but I had a few more updates now that I'm dialing in my research that I wanted to get some opinions on...

1. Am I going to need any of the components from a KA24DE harness for any aspects of the swap? Such as the injectors or running the a/c components down the road, ecm, ect?

2. I'm going to swap out the cab and bed body bushings because the owner said that they were the originals and cracked, any recommendations for that?

3. The stock exhaust I'd imagine wont work with the KA, any recommendations for the exhaust or am I looking at something custom?

4. What electric fan should I run?

5. What do you recommend for an Electric fuel pump or will the stock one work fine?

6. Will I need to swap the throttle cable?

7. Since the KA had power steering, what components will I need to make that work or does it make more sense to delete it? (my 81 toyota doesnt have power steering so not much of a concern to me.)

I have a guy that has done a lot of SR swaps that is going to help me with this but I just want to make sure I have EVERYTHING to make this as efficient and reliable as possible since I plan on making this my daily.

Thanks again for everything guys and big shout out to ]2eDeYe for all his help 🙂

• Like 2