Noob with a 620, looking to KA Swap

elderado

Nice lookin' 620!  If you are good with custom electrical, you can use the factory engine harness for the KA & delete all the stuff that your 620 does not have or need.  We have seen absolute rats nests of horrible wiring on quite a few "swapped" Datsuns! 😆 Another option is to buy a Wiring Specialties engine harness for the KA...........they are killer nice!!  You will have a couple options like wiring for AC, emissions etc, otherwise it is plug n play to the KA engine & I believe needs two "hot" wires from the 620 ie switched ON ignition etc.  Pretty straight forward & clean!  Good luck with the project!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, elderado said:

1. Am I going to need any of the components from a KA24DE harness for any aspects of the swap? Such as the injectors or running the a/c components down the road, ecm, ect?

2. I'm going to swap out the cab and bed body bushings because the owner said that they were the originals and cracked, any recommendations for that?

3. The stock exhaust I'd imagine wont work with the KA, any recommendations for the exhaust or am I looking at something custom?

4. What electric fan should I run?

5. What do you recommend for an Electric fuel pump or will the stock one work fine?

6. Will I need to swap the throttle cable?

7. Since the KA had power steering, what components will I need to make that work or does it make more sense to delete it? (my 81 toyota doesnt have power steering so not much of a concern to me.)

Its been a minute since I looked this up so I may not be 100% correct, but I had plans to do a KA24DE swap as well. Sitting on most of the parts, just figured my truck is better off running than in pieces for now.

1. Full engine harness and all bolt on accessories - some of it won't be needed but better to start with the full harness and dial it back. Theres a nifty little box that makes the wiring very straight forward. Wiring diagrams are here on the forum. Or, use the diagrams and a few relays and do it yourself for cheap! As for AC... maybe an aftermarket set up is best?

3. I dont know of a bolt-on exhaust that will work. The best solution for most, that I've found, is to use a KA24DE short header (consensus is long tubes won't fit), then cut off the bottom few inches and flange and rotate it to where it exits between the frame and... torsion bar(?) I believe. The rest is up to you

4. I think the KA fan works fine, better with a shroud. I was going to look into deleting it and running an electric fan too. Just debating on which radiator to use. Most go with an old VW with both hoses on the right but there are many options.

5. 620's used mechanical pumps so you'll have to go with an electric in-line. I don't recall if you have to upgrade the fuel lines - I don't believe so. But I think a return is needed.

7. I believe the most viable solution to power steering is electric unless you fab a rack from another vehicle. People have done it on various datsun models so you'll have to search.

Again, its been a minute, but hope this helps. Theres also, of course, a bunch of good resources/threads on this forum for this swap. I found this one particularly informative.