#1 cylinder no spark s13 sr20det black top. Please help!!

datsundan

I have an s13 sr20det blacktop swapped into my 72 datsun 510. As far as mods go all i have is a turbo manifold, turbo back exhaust, fmic and intake and thats it. Stock everything else. Well the other day i drove my car in the rain and suddenly my car started misfiring. Turns out the number one cylinder towards the front of the car is not getting enough of a spark or none at all. Ive replaced the coil packs along with the plugs and still nothing. Anybody have any insight on this

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I shit canned the double post. Any replies can go on this one. Nice gif Mr. Peters.

datsundan: Pull the #1 plug wire off and put an old plug in the end. Lay it on a grounded surface like the valve cover and crank it over. Is there a nice hot spark or not??? If weak or no spark try to swap that wire with another cylinder. If the problem moves the wire is faulty.

Edited by datzenmike

checked it and i am getting an adequate enough spark to the cylinder but now after looking deeper and trying a few other things it seems to not be getting any gas into that cylinder. would an injector just die like that or would it be my MAF or ECU. (ECU DID GET SOME WATER ON IT DURING THE RAIN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO) going to open up the ecu tonight or tomorrow but if anybody has anymore insight on this issue all knowledge will be greatly appreciated. thanks

check the resistance across the pins of a known good injector and compare to possible bad injector. if there is a massive difference then you know what the problem is.

#2 take your test light and with the car running stab the + side of questionable injector if you can see a slight pulse in the light then you have signal from the ecu and you have a bad injector.

BUT if you got water on the ecm then i bet your problem is right there.

Yep if water is on the ECU it's most likely a bad injector driver, I would swap the wires going to the next cylinder back, if the miss follows the injector plug you know the ECU may be bad. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do a continuity test on the injector wire. also make sure it's getting power. Have you posted pics of you car? I want to see the swap :D