85 Nissan 720 4x4 2.4 New Exhaust Manifold with cover

Thomas Perkins

Hi Ya'll.I just got a new Exhaust Manifold.I have Weber.When I put the Weber on long ago.I removed the Exhaust manifold cover that is used for the stock carb. to heat it up with the outlet and aluminum hose that goes to it.I still have the old one in great shape if anyone needs it.The new exhaust manifold came with one.Should I leave it off.I am going to paint my brake booster with high heat paint cause of the heat from the exhaust that caused it to to look ugly.That outlet is pointed at the brake booster.The picture shows it pointed up but it really is toward the brake booster.

rnb-674-220_aq_xl.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anywhere damp and near freezing can do it but more important is the rest of the year. The ATC keeps inlet air near a constant temperature so the engine runs like it's summer all year long. Better running and mileage. On top of this a much larger and better air filter.

• Like 1

Yep,got it from Rock Auto Parts.Guess everything is made in China.But anyway,I replaced my gaskets on my Weber today,They don't last long,did it in 2018.Webers are made in Spain.But they are good.Way better than the junk that came on the 720's.I don't need a ATC here in Georgia,never gets cold.I replaced my Exhaust manifold in 1995 with a Nissan one and it cracked also.Before I got my new exhaust manifold the other day,I wasn't using the cover.I just painted the brake booster with  high heat flat black,also cured it,look's good.I guess I will leave the cover on.If it weren't for China we would be in trouble.I will post pictures tomorrow of my Weber been taking off and cleaned up and new rebuilt parts on it.Had her for 27 years.Best one I ever seen...got 380,000 miles on the speedo which means I keep it running...The inside of the Weber was clean...I painted that rooster,his name is Henry,I used 15 different colors..I got this truck in 94,and drove to Atlanta and seen Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour,check out my magazine I got at the concert...

100_8840.jpg

100_8837.jpg

100_8843.jpg

100_7724.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
On 11/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

When I put the Weber on long ago.I removed the Exhaust manifold cover that is used for the stock carb. to heat it up with the outlet and aluminum hose that goes to it.I still have the old one in great shape if anyone needs it.The new exhaust manifold came with one.Should I leave it off.

I'm stuck in the same position.  Just the other day, I decided to run a clone of the stock carb.  The hot air off of the exhaust manifold is really hot if you are above forty or so degrees, and the air cleaner assembly is uncomfortable to touch.  So, my plan was to use the ATC vacuum controlled set-up, but the flapper won't fully operate with full vacuum.  So, manually operating the flapper will be best for winter, and I have a scheme to hack it. 

But, I just can't imagine myself doing a good fabrication job on the bottom of the original air cleaner to fit the Weber.  I've been looking at 12" cake pans, as new metal will allow me to hold an air filter, and use an air filter to form a gasket seal in the air cleaner.  If I get to the scrap yard, I'll get another Nissan Datsun air cleaner assembly and try my fabrication skills.  Or, I'll make an MDF brake to bend some 22g weldable steel with.  I'd like to use the stock 10" round air cleaner.  This project got started because I noticed that the front of the Weber air filters get holes up front - it looks like road sand is shot from the fan, and pulled thru by engine vacuum.  Plus, those Weber air filters are expensive relative to the aftermarket STP or Microguard intended for the stock set-up, must be mail-ordered, is a bit small, is ugly and chrome, and, they tend to collapse with the Weber cap clips being a bit uneven.

I definitely want to do the hot air intake for weather below freezing. 

Everything under the hood will be HOT!!!! to the touch. It's the intake air temperature that is important.

Fix the flapper gate. It's not intended to run full hot air from the exhaust. The temperature sensor in the air filter regulates the the flapper servo in the snorkel mixing some hot air with ambient air from in front of the radiator keeping it near 100F. The engine is 'tuned' to this 100F air temperature, idle mixture, idle speed and timing. It runs more consistently if the air temperature doesn't change with the seasons. Surely it snows in Georgia in the winter, maybe not much, but if snow, then that's cold enough to take advantage of the ATC's benefits. Freezing is 70 degrees different from 100F and that's a big range of temperatures to operate in.