Moog upper and lower ball joint PN question 1979 KC

stingraylx1

I ordered 2 pairs of Moog balls joints from RA, are the lower RH and Lower LH identical. I called Moog and they thought they are identical and they have a NA catalog misprint.

Upper- Moog K9022 identical pair for LH and RH

Lower- Moog K9045, documentation on Moog WS and RA states “ front lower left “

Other suppliers either sell a matched pair but others state lower FR and FL.

I have not removed the OE ball joints to compare, are the lower ball joints a identical PN/set?

Mevotech Supreme PN MK 9045 is a matched PN set on their WS and on RA.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe I fell victim to this exact issue lol. Let me see if I can find my rockauto order.

image.thumb.png.affd91240d76903d8188f6dcd465f5b1.png

Right, so I did order two 'lefts' for my 79... which at the time over a year ago, I want to say just said lower or they only had one side so I assumed it was the same for left and right. Fast forward a bit, I find out that they are in fact different. If you look closely at the 2 holes farthest from the balljoint, theyre a tiny bit offset, like a millimeter or two. The casting is the same but the holes are drilled differently for LH and RH I guess. Anyway, I got an alignment done and it worked out alright but might've been easier had I not overlooked that.

heres my hardly scientific proof lol.

image.png.336108aca7e49be1016801b7ac346d27.png

Edited by klam07
  • Thanks 1

Update, I cross referenced The Nissan OE PN Mike provided, looks like Moog K9043 is the Front lower right for the 620.

Descripition
Brand:MOOG
Part Number(s):K9043
ProductName:Ball Joint
Cross Interchange Parts
Factory Number
NISSAN 40160-48W00
NISSAN 40160-48W25
NISSAN 40160-B9500
NISSAN 40160-F1700
NISSAN 40160-T3060
A.B.S. 220197

• Like 1
On 10/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, datzenmike said:

I assume the bolt holes won't line up with the LCA. In addition the tension rod  has to fit diagonally across.

They did line up, but I can't remember if I really struggled to get the bolts through the tension rod > LCA > ball joint. Might've been a tight fit on the right side, but I think theres enough slop to account for the offset holes. And ultimately, the alignment checked out - for a 42 year old truck I was happy lol

Actually, I think I had my tension rods loosened as I was reworking the entire front suspension. 720 adjustable tie rods, new center link, ball joints, etc. Thought I had got new bushings for the tension rod but turned out it was the wrong part so I think thats what gave me the wiggle room I needed to get the bolts through

Edited by klam07