78 620… back to life!

perattzi

Well after a hiatus figured it was time to get the ol Datsun back on the road. I’ve posted this truck in the past, but it’s mostly just been in my garage/carport for the last 5 years. Ordered a rebuilt Hitachi, siphoned the old gas out, new battery… 

Cranked it over, didn’t even try and start hmmm…

Then I realized the normally insanely loud fuel pump was conspicuously quiet. Oh right I unplugged the fuel pump a few years ago 😂

Ok got fuel now! Still no start. Checked for spark, nothing. Did all the tests in the repair manual… new cap, rotor, plugs, no dice. Seemed ign unit wasn’t connecting with distributor. So I made 2 crazy long jumper wires from dist to ign unit, boom started right up! After all that, all I needed to do was crimp on new connectors at the red/green wire junction on the radiator 😂😂

Ok running that’s good… hmm well that coolant leaking… new heater hose fixed it. 

Changed the oil, checked the timing, aired up the tires, went for a rip.. forgot how fun these little trucks are!

Still working out some kinks, but having a blast tinkering on it again. The idea was to get it going to sell (as I just have too many motorcycle projects and a camper van build and no place to finish the body work properly without my neighbors killing me)but now I’m second guessing myself! 

Anyway, hope you all enjoy some pics 

A460BC8F-3052-4533-8642-BD7B0EB2568F.jpeg

10EAD268-067A-4B52-A2A7-6DACB1758FAA.jpeg

4A253899-6735-4D54-9CA5-BBA14D5BDB3E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Nice. I see it has the better looking earlier grill.

Yea, I have another that has the split design and no oblong headlight trim rings(guess that’s the correct one?). Honestly I can’t decide which I like better. I practically gave away a giant parts lot that came w/ the truck… sadly now I’m needing some of those parts 😂 oops

Found a Nos shifter boot in my office tucked away with my camera equipment of all places 🤷‍♂️ 

This is the other grille I have. Also I seem to have misplaced one of the heater ducts. This truck had AC installed at the dealer but since removed. On that topic, seems my fan has 6 or 8 blades whereas most have only 4? Is this to do with the a/c? My truck does run cool according to temp gauge( not sure if that could be it) and the fan sounds like a damn plane taking off. 

2FEF35A3-1FBE-4BC7-83BD-91C1BC20A486.jpeg

5E743D71-7E61-43F3-B501-7B3147701F78.jpeg

10 minutes ago, perattzi said:

Found a Nos shifter boot in my office tucked away with my camera equipment of all places 🤷‍♂️ 

This is the other grille I have. Also I seem to have misplaced one of the heater ducts. This truck had AC installed at the dealer but since removed. On that topic, seems my fan has 6 or 8 blades whereas most have only 4? Is this to do with the a/c? My truck does run cool according to temp gauge( not sure if that could be it) and the fan sounds like a damn plane taking off. 

If you me the radiator fan, perhaps the fan clutch on the water pump is locked up.  When they lock up, thats the description given, like a plane taking off.

1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

If you me the radiator fan, perhaps the fan clutch on the water pump is locked up.  When they lock up, thats the description given, like a plane taking off.

Ah yes good call. Indeed I meant the rad fan. My old BMW did same thing, I should have known. Will check to see if it slips or not. Thx!

A clutch fan won't have only 4 blades. Clutch fans slip and and are limited to about 2,200 RPMs to save energy and are quieter, though that's not their purpose. A four blade fan spins at crankshaft speeds and will make lots of noise.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, perattzi said:

This is the spot behind glovebox where I seem to have misplaced a duct. 
Also found some of the paperwork, neat to see the truck spent it’s whole life in this area. I’m the 3rd owner. 

B9C5EA15-3367-4563-9D51-130F532B10BD.jpeg

can you show me how you mounted the shifter boot? Mine never had one and I'm trying to see how it hooks to the plate

On 6/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, 5t341tH said:

can you show me how you mounted the shifter boot? Mine never had one and I'm trying to see how it hooks to the plate

Hi, I didn’t take any pics. It was definitely a PITA, at least with my particular part. Basically you remove the center console flip it over, there is a metal ring/bracket held in w/4 screws.. that you remove. Then you line up the cover and place the bracket back over, it presses down on the fabric and sandwiches it in place. There’s several little raised nubs that grab the fabric. Hard part is lining it up on all 4 sides! What worked is to lightly tighten the screws down then sorta pull one side of the fabric taut and tighten the screws, pull the other side etc… repeat about 27 times 😂

Edited by perattzi
  • Like 2