Coil primary resistance spec

matrophy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

short out the leads of the meter and if it reads .6 ohms then I wouldnt worry about it.

Matter of fact of both read the samde I say the coils are good anyway

datzenmike is more a spec on these later trucks

Forgot about checking that on the low setting. It was off 0.6 in fact. That saved me some $$.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

In 50 plus years of working on Datsuns/Nissans I have only come a croos 1 bad factory coil.   But it was on a 1980 720 with a matchbox distributor.

I had one in a 56 VW that went out so it's in the back of my mind. I decided to check it out as part of my Weber saga

• Like 1

The L series matchbox are 0.75 to 1.0 ohms. I guess the Z series are 1.0 to 1.25 +-, did not know that. I thought they were all the same.

Charlie I have never seen a failed Datsun coil but the one on my 710 did crack at the top near the high tension wire. It tended to spark to the negative terminal a few times then light off the unburned with a backfire out the muffler. Did this at the same place on way to work one fall going around a corner and shift down into second step on gas, bog, bang. It never did it in the summer and I only once drove it that late in the year. I threw a Z series coil on it.