exhuast

The Rats Garage

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used pipe? Not the way to go.

Have a good muffler shop bend one up for you. Ask around there's art in bending pipe, some have it, many don't. Ask around at shops who do this for a living. They usually know who is better than them. You might want to by the muffler you want and have them build around it. A 2" pipe would be good for a 2 liter engine. This will probably be in the $200- $300 range?

• Like 1

There was a guy in town that bent pipe, a real artist. I went back to the same shop and he was gone, I left. Like most artists they probably didn't know or care much about what others called art but to them it was "can't everybody do this?" 

Aluminized pipe!!!! and a good Muffler.

Walker, Dynomax, Thrush  ,CherryBomb Turbo 2s

Dont go bigger than 2in

I have this on my 521. In the morning its abit louder. I like it as it has the deflectors in there to keep the wall from rotting out over time as the old turbos used to do.  Had mine 20years.  Installed in 2000 and has been fine and no rust issues using aluminized pipe 1.75in. I used 1.75 as slightly bigger than stock and Ezer to weld to the T pipe once they expanded it

If I did it again I would get a walker queit muffler but dont know how they last as they dont have the deflectors. As I like quiet now on my truck. On a truck the mufflers is in the center so maybe the noise changes by the time it goes out. Maybe better on a 510 as the muffler is at the end of the vehicle.

https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I think the Z24 is 2" the L20B 1 3/4"?

1.75".............. 2.4 sq. in.

2".................. 3.14 sq. in. a 1/4" increase is a 30.8% increase in area, enough for a 2,600cc engine

Doubling a pipe diameter increases the cross sectional area by 4 times!!!

Don't get into dick measuring and run a 2 1/2" pipe. Two inches is lots!!!

If the L20B pipe is 1 7/8" this changes to almost 14% increase or enough for a 2,272cc engine

Run the largest cheap muffler you can fit on the pipe. My 710 has 1 7/8 with a reversed 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 'reducer to run a larger muffler. With a 2" pipe this will reduce any restriction.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, datzenmike said:

There was a guy in town that bent pipe, a real artist. I went back to the same shop and he was gone, I left. Like most artists they probably didn't know or care much about what others called art but to them it was "can't everybody do this?" 

I can attest to this my daughter was doing tattoos at 9 and thought everyone could do it ..at 20 she now does art full time and still thinks people are better..news flash no one is.

• Like 1