What is this number on my 510??

saffdawg69

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were no standardized VIN plates back then. Auto makers had their own systems till the early '80s.

Look above and behind the valve cover, on the cowl or firewall. On your driver's side with be (or should be) the engine tag or type plate held on with 4 screws. May have been taken off to paint and forgotten. It identifies it as a sedan PL 510 or estate car WPL 510, lists the engine capacity, HP @ RPM, wheelbase, engine number*, car number**.

*engine number will match the number stamped into the block behind the oil dip stick. Unless engine was swapped for another.

**car number will match match the one stamped into the cowl... see below.

To your passenger side is the car number and this is stamped into the metal and painted. If a sedan it starts PL 510 and WPL 510 if an estate car. After that are 5? digits to identify the car production order.

So you do have the engine number and the car number and this is all there is really when you transfer the ownership. I don't know what the procedure in where you are. Go into the motor vehicle licensing is done and ask them what they need from you.

5 hours ago, LS_Wagon said:

Hi and Welcome,

No idea. Definitely not a VIN. The VIN Should start with PL510, or WPL510. Is the first number you listed on the firewall? Is it a 2 Door, 4 Door, or Wagon? I have a 69 Wagon.

Luis.

The first number i listed is on the suspension strut tower stamped in. its 4door 

10 hours ago, saffdawg69 said:

Thank you for your time,  i am sending my agent to go and inspect vehicle. Im still unsure why the registration papers record the numbers, EIPV-244755 and the engine number on the block is EP249451??

The 'car number' is unique to your car and identifies it. On N American 510s it's stamped into the cowl or firewall and recorded on an engine tag also screwed to the cowl but, removable. The engine number is just the engine installed at the factory and listed on the tag. If they don't match it would indicate than in it's long life the engine was replaced at some time.

Check with the licensing bureau and see what you need to get this registered in your name first.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:01 AM, saffdawg69 said:

Hi all im looking to buy a datsun 1600 , 1969, it has no vin plate , or any plates as such . I have been given a number from the owner EIPV-244755 can anyone help with this please? the number stamped on the engine  is EP249451?

Some have the number stamped under the core support