headlight relay question....

Llittle_Llama

does it matter WHERE you place the relays? i was wanting to do them under the dash so i could hide all the wires, but i wasn't sure if it would be better to have them closer to the headlight. also, what gauge wire do you recommend, and where do you get it from? only stuff i can find is alright, but from autozone, so.....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ideally, you want to put the headlight relays as close to the battery, or alternator, and the headlights as possible. Front of the car. they also need to be put somewhere they do not get water on them, and if you get the kind with mounting tabs on them, tab up, relay down.

You may also need to improve the ground wiring side of the headlights. All the way back to the battery, and the alternator. Big wires on the grounds are good. Do not depend on the contact of the metal alternator body to the engine block to ground the alternator. Run a separate wire. Run a separate heavy wire from the body to the frame of the truck, from the engine to the frame of the truck, and from the engine to the body.

For wire size, it depends on how much current (amps) go through the wires.

16 gauge wire, 10 amps

14 gauge wires, 15 amps

12 gauge wires, 20 amps

10 gauge wires, 30 amps

These are conservative ratings, you can get away with a little more for short periods of time.

Just as important as wire size, is the number of connections, and how good they are. Try to keep the number of connections to a minimum. Carefully soldering the wire end to the wire is a good idea, but do not let the solder go way up into the wire, it makes the wire brittle, and increases the possibility of the wire breaking at the terminal. Put fuses in the wire, before the wire goes very far from the source of power.

The wiring for the control side of the relays can be small. 16 or 18 gauge is fine. Many installations also just use the stock headlight wiring to trigger the coil of the relay.