620 smogworthy

Just got a 78 620 and need it to pass smog to register in CA. I think the numbers are pretty good but its missing a few necessary systems as it was previously in Washington and before that Arizona, namely I believe egr valve, an air pump and... Main question is can I find these things at pick n pull or the like off of other cars and if so what cars have compatible parts? Or does anyone here have stuff? or should I just go to auto zone or whatever?

Thanks

Zephyr

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It should be considered a federal vehicle for smog, don't add anything unless it was removed. Find a smog tech in your area that will look at it and tell you what's required for it. If you add bits some tech's will then say it must conform and require all the California smog equipment.

Okay good to know! The dude I went to was very cool and did show me the book, he showed me the CA vs fed requirements, I may go back just to ask again I guess we were focused on the CA line but I think it may have been the same for this year. Not sure, also not sure it wasn't removed in the first place. The egr valve has a cap but there are a few hoses going to no where and a holder for a (carbon?) canister by the front for...? Dunno. May check back in with the smog tech I went to or look around for some other smog techs. Thank you

California smog inspections can be idiotic.  Years ago circa 1973 I had a 1970 Buick Electra Limited which I had bought in San Bernardino but registered in Wyoming [my military home state at the time].   When I eventually retired and took up California residency I went to change the plates to California.  Big deal !  The inspector insisted that I could not register the Buick because I did not have a visible smog pump.  I pointed out that the car had been built in California, had been delivered to a California dealer, Had the pink pages in the driver's handbook that explained the features incorporated to confirm to California standards and had a uniquely California intake manifold [with unique part number stamped on it] that satisfied all smog requirements.  I had passed all smog tests by the way.  Nope, he insisted on a visible smog add on device.  I asked if was a visible inspection, he said visible only.  Note that he did not say visible verification of the connections. So I bought the cheapest add on spark retarder I could find, bolted it onto the inner fender and showed it to him.  The wires were neatly dressed and not connected.  I passed his visual check and got my California registration.

• Like 1