Are the '72 wagon and sedan jacks the same?

rosso

Just trying to source a jack for the wagon. I have one but it does not look like the others I have had. It also does not have a block for the front jacking.

And an even bigger question - where does this get stored? Owners manual says 2nd crossmember, but no indication if this is under the car or from the front or back.

Thanks, you can tell I am getting excited about getting the project running.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure but I believe so I have several sedans and a couple of Goons and I think they are all the same. Post a pic of your Jack and it goes under the back set I believe with the pouch of tools the lug wrench and a couple of yellow chauks for the tires there is also a rid and handle to lower the spaire it goes in a hole in the lower area when you open the rear hatch.

Edited by edekalil

Wagon and sedan scissor jacks are different although they may still work? Wagon and sedan tool bags and hand cranks are totally different. The sedan jack and crank may be the exact same as used on the S10. Canadian sedans have pliers, spanners and a screwdriver that the US sedans do not. The wagon has a solid axle vs. IRS. and maybe this is the difference. Both sedan and wagon have the same lug wrench and wheel chocks.

19 hours ago, rosso said:

And an even bigger question - where does this get stored? Owners manual says 2nd crossmember, but no indication if this is under the car or from the front or back.

Have a look down on floor in front of driver's seat. On my 710 wagon the scissor jack fits under a clip, then you turn the jack handle to expand it to lock in place. The lug wrench, well mine does, fits along below the driver's door on the floor in two rubber supports. Have a look it may be different.

• Like 1

Thanks, I think there are 5 items for the wagon:

1. the jack and

2. jack extension block (adapter)

3. the jack wind handle comprised of:

a. the long rod to insert into the tire lowering mechanism

b. the square bar handle to turn rod

4. lug wrench

So far I have the long rod stored in the two clips by the driver's footwell.. I have the square bar but nowhere to put it. So I can lower the spare tire but I have no other parts.

I will check the driver seat for the bracket tomorrow.

jack-wagon.thumb.jpg.e71ba358eb295d3b47a24501a9c8c86b.jpg

3. the jack wind handle comprised of:

a. the long rod to insert into the tire lowering mechanism

b. the square bar handle to turn rod

jack-wagon.thumb.jpg.e71ba358eb295d3b47asure looks like in front of the driver's seat

My 710 has a plastic dust cover that fits over the collapsed jack then it's clamped down for storage. I'm missing the hand crank, which should be like yours,  but I have a rod but the end is like a hand crank for starting a model A. Have the pouch, chocks and lug wrench. Weird that the Canadian 510 sedans also got a screwdriver, spanners and pliers.

I'm looking at the 510 sedan kit and the hand crank is like mine so maybe someone replaced it.

FWIW, At the very least, the two rods that are used to lower the spare could very well still be available as the Titan, Frontier, and Xterra all use this same method. I will  check to see if this is a valid statement and if it is I will post part #'s. Nissan has a lug wrench that has a square hole that goes over the end of one of the rods for lowering the spare much like the original part.

If memory serves, the three parts can be had for somewhere between 30 to 50 dollhairs.

The 510, 610 and 710 wagons (probably others) have a tire let down system with a funnel to guide the square let down rods in as they can't easily be seen to poke at. Good idea to let the spare down once a year to check the pressure and to lube the mechanism.

I have the long rod and handle to let the tire down, I will have to check if it can also be used as the jack handle.

I do have the bracket under the driver's seat but I do not have the 510 jack. So ima need one once I have the car on the road.

I may need a jack handle, as Dmike describes it like a model A crank. On all my other sedans, this handle was stored in the trunk on the back panel between the taillights with clips.