Cranks but won't Start

Vriske

Hows it going Ratsun family, been a member on the site for a year since I've bought my 620 last February. Since I've had it, I've only been able to work on it a few weeks out the year (thanks military).

Recently installed a weber carb and since then it doesn't even start. It had the stock carb in place but also ran very roughly. Figured I could do 2 birds one stone on that one, but that wasn't the case. The engine cranks but won't start, fuel is pumping, spark is present, but no combustion. Attempting to crank the engine over results in the carb blowing air and a bit of fuel out the barrels onto the hood. 

First vehicle I've ever decided to work on from the ground up as a learning experience. Zero experience with carburetors, zero experience as a legit mechanic (I've fixed simple things on my bmw z4 up to control arms and bushing reppacements) and wanted to learn through trial and error with old school cars and trucks. Any and all help and advice would be appreciated.

Given by how this forum is, im completely ready for a roast session too. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention, its a 1974 chassis, with an l20b and 5 speed swapped into it. Ran rough from when I bought it (burned oil, turns out it was missing a rocker arm). Only drove it that one time to get it home and since then its been sitting until I can determine if it can be safely driven with minimal negative damages

Did you pull any plug wires off while doing the swap?

Did you replace this rocker arm?

Is this a new in the box Weber? and where did you get it? because there are a lot of fake or counterfeit made in china pieces of shit.

are any of the push rods bent? i had issue with my b210 after i took it to brakes plus to bleed brakes. it ran rough and valve cover bolts were loose and had to adjusted valves cuz some of them were out of adjustment

Edited by gene knight

you got spark from the center coil wire to ground?   Yes or NO

If yes then pour some gas straight in the carb then see if the motor fires up?  starting fluid would work lso as enough fumes would get sucked up and fire off if you have spark

you have the points gapped?   this is a simple fix

watch this a couple times and get aqauinted with a L motor

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrDQ3JfnI1fZwYAf637w8QF;_ylu=c2VjA3NlYXJjaAR2dGlkAw--;_ylc=X1MDOTY3ODEzMDcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZAMuOEZ5RnpFd0xqSGZsR3FnWGU1OE93Y1VNVE13TGdBQUFBQ1BUR0J2BGZyA3lmcC10BGZyMgNzYS1ncARncHJpZAN5NzNzaVFXeFFPS0F6cXFpa0dGeGJBBG5fcnNsdAM2MARuX3N1Z2cDMQRvcmlnaW4DdmlkZW8uc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMyNQRxdWVyeQN2aW1lbyUyMCUyMGhhaW56JTIwZGF0c3VuBHRfc3RtcAMxNjAzMTE2MTQw?p=vimeo++hainz+datsun&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asa&fr=yfp-t&guce_referrer=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&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALX4UisICtlzUEdgGXcxCwn1nOhQReGnZW4gvGCsDRvTwcQmuhn4Ey0oBiVrCPhcatu6qGy5ifcCtt3o-Nt5aKMj1CHjL3g3BEVuvqfjdXxkKTqsSQtdu377GGIjMfgyIvT2W2uLLWkjwHnLdJ2AKcMBzIBpIR5r7tQ4mTFxZ2bY&_guc_consent_skip=1603116171#id=1&vid=c2bc940e3b3389a9689e968fcaa2fb12&action=view

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Well, I figured it out. One of my buddies working with me forgot to mention that he changed the firing order up. I feel dumb for not having checked that first thing the other day, but it runs and thats what matters.Truck turned right on as soon as that was swapped back. The blowby is the next thing on the list but perhaps thats a topic for another day. 

Thank you all for your input and advice!

• Like 1
On 10/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, datzenmike said:

Did you pull any plug wires off while doing the swap?

Did you replace this rocker arm?

Is this a new in the box Weber? and where did you get it? because there are a lot of fake or counterfeit made in china pieces of shit.

First question.

• Like 1