Dutch Datsun 510 4 door sedan

Plofkip

Hello all,

My name is Jan and in the progress of buying a Datsun 510 4 door sedan which in Europe are very hard to find (considered to USA at least)

What are things i need to look out for when i go and see it this weekend?

Computer at work wont let me upload current pictures. I will try to add those from my phone later.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jan

Not so much the body but rust that affects it structurally. Do the doors close properly or is it sagging in the middle. Don't mistake for worn door hinges. Is all the glass there and unbroken or cracked or hazy? Anything missing on the body like a wiper arm or hub cap? Do the tires all match or different makes and sizes? What is the condition of the interior?

Does it run? If not running you can't drive it to assess the brakes, handling (suspension), drive train (engine, clutch, transmission, driveshafts, differential) steering ball joints.   If not running you can't know much about all these important things that make it go.

If running does it start easily, restart easily when warmed up? Does it accelerate smoothly? Is the muffler loud which can hide other noises? Does the exhaust smoke? Blue is burning oil, white is normal if cold out, black is excessively rich mixture. Does the temperature run in the middle of the gauge? Do all the electrical options work, Dash gauges, wipers, heater, all lighting, signals etc.? Do the brakes work and stop the car in a straight line? parking brake? Are the tires worn unevenly possibly indicating a suspension or steering alignment problem? Does it drive straight and handle? Does it have excessive play in the steering? Any unexplained noises?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply datzenmike. The car is fully stripped, sandblasted and than primered. I can see there will be lots of welding and metal work to do. Just wondering if theres any weak spots that are not visible?

Owner says its complete, only misses one front window trim. Not easy to check since its all in boxes. 

You could start your own "shed full of parts" by getting the too far gone to be saved car just for the parts - as Mike says - priced accordingly. Then find a better car to build - knowing you have all the parts in-hand to do it right.

510 parts are getting more expensive and more rare every day - slowly ruining one of the best parts about this hobby - cheap fun!

--carter

• Like 1
On 10/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, carterb said:

You could start your own "shed full of parts" by getting the too far gone to be saved car just for the parts - as Mike says - priced accordingly. Then find a better car to build - knowing you have all the parts in-hand to do it right.

510 parts are getting more expensive and more rare every day - slowly ruining one of the best parts about this hobby - cheap fun!

--carter

I regret not storing upon 510s  when they where 1500 bucks out here in nor-cal, now the rustier they are the more expensive they get lol,  

but yeah listen to the m embers here they info given is gold man!