74 620 w/o bumper: Best Universal Trailer Hitch 2020

Cardinal Grammeter

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This would have been easy, about 1978.   You might try JC Whitney, or wait until a 620 with a rear bumper shows up in a junkyard near you.

A 521 rear bumper that does not wrap around body sheet metal might work.

Another option is to have a metal fab shop make one, maybe 2x3 rectangular steel tube welded to brackets bolted to the rear of the trucks frame.

Edited by DanielC
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm checking out that CL rear bumper but frankly, I really like the NO Bumper look!

I was thinking about all the "obstacles:"
1) Spare tire

2) Receiver has to be under license plate

3) Frame is high

4) Frame does not come "all the way back"

And then I saw this hitch which doesn't look that bad.  Frankly, I'm surprised this is a Class 3 - not much to it. (The 4" structural channel welded up hitch under my 69 C20 must have been a Class 10,  LOL

I'm going to check out Uhaul too.

Thanks

image.jpeg.5e4f159fde2448c67191e69cb1d347a2.jpeg

Just saw the photo you posted and got me thinking back to my old Tacoma. The 95-04 Tacomas have a very simple hitch. You would have to take some measurements and do some digging but there is a good chance you could find one in a junk yard --- or replacements are not that expensive. Could be a nice tucked up option.

Here is a tucked version from All Pro Offroad designed to fit behind their bumper. Mounts between the frame rails. The stock hitch drops down a little bit further. 

24-16531-skuimage.jpg

https://allprooffroad.com/all-armor/1995-2004-toyota-tacoma-reciever-hitch-for-wrap-around-rear-bumper.html