1985 nissan 720 rwd

Z24KRZ777

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's already pretty good. You could go to a more aggressive pad and shoe compound. Increased stopping. easy and relatively cheap.

wayno, you have Hardbody V6 calipers on yours. Will they bolt into a 720 or do you need to swap the hubs?

• Like 1

As light as these 720 trucks are the factory brakes do fine.  I had 2500Lbs of scrap steel on mine running the freeway at 75 mph when a Honda Civic changed lanes and cut me off, needless to say I locked up all 4 and saw the ass of the Civic closer than I wanted so I let off and went around on the left and dam if she did not do it again.  Same thing happened again with the brakes and when I went passed her on the shoulder sure enough she was texting and I do not think she had any clue she had crossed 2 lanes of traffic.

Stock brakes are fine if you know what you are doing.  I over load my 720 all the time, one of these days I will kill a texter with it!  LOL

Edited by Charlie69

1985 Nissan 720 brakes are as good as anything after them unless your truck weighs as much as a big truck like my 521 work truck does, I used to have the Hardbody V6 dual piston calipers on my work truck, now it has 1986 Nissan 720 calipers that are exactly the same as the early Hardbody, the only drawback with the 1983 thru 1985 rotors/calipers is the spindle is offset differently than the 1986+ 720/hardbody rotor/caliper, it's a maybe 3 year setup, while the later rotors/calipers go all the way thru 1997 on the trucks, they will have them parts available for years to come.

I personally expect the dual piston caliper setup is likely better than the single piston type, but the single piston calipers has worked fine for me lately but I don't load my truck up as much as I used to very often anymore, recently I hauled several heavy loads and my single piston caliper brakes worked fine, but the truck over all drove kinda funny, you can see it was loaded up and resting on the bump stop, and I have 7 leafs in them leaf packs.

1985 truck brakes(4 cyl) are basically the same as the 1986 thru 1997 brakes except for the offset, I believe any disc brake truck hub(1978+) will work with any disc brake setup thru 1997, but the later hubs may not except early truck rims because the hole in the middle of the rim is too small for the later hubs.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1