Nissan-datsun z20s problems

Hi there, I'm new in this forum searching for help and knowledge, I own a 1984 Nissan 720 with a z20s engine (a carbureted engine  2.0l) I have a 5 pin distributor ignition controll module, it's having a problems, I believe it's cutting the spark or something after 50 mph, it bogs down after a 20 minute drive in 4th or 5th gear and then in any gear sputtering and boggin, I replace the icm with a new account delco replacement from rock auto but it's making the same thing! 

I check the ignition coil they are ok, but I was reading that they can overheat after a good drive and start failing,... Maybe? 

Rotor, cap, wires and plugs are new, distributor looked good when I replace the icm, what else could be an issue ? 

Should I get a new distributor,? 

Does the ecm have something to do with the distributor? 

Please some one help me! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the fuel filter. It's close to the fuel pump, between the fuel pump and the tank.

With all those things replaced and you say you don't know the spark is cutting out for sure then high speed cutting out can be the carburetor going dry because the filter is mostly plugged. It under $10 to try and if you haven't replaced in the last 3 years it's due anyway. If it works it's a cheap fix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, I will change the Fuel Filter, tha catalytic converter was install 2 years ago for the smog check (I am in California), it is a stock 5 speed carburated engine

The thing is, that some times it work ike a dream, and out of the sudden starts failing, yesterday I went to my cousin house a 2 mile drive, worked good, few hours later it bearly run, I drove in the shoulder of the road all the way to my house 😣

If the fuel filter does not work, then what would be next? 

Thanks for answering guys! 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

buF8TkE.jpg

Find the engine tag plate on the inner right fender under the hood hinge. 

2nd up from bottom Z20

Bottom row FS5W71B..... HF33 for 3.364

Got it, it is a HE33. 

Well the problem now it's worst, yesterday I was so bad that I couldn't make to my house from the corner, now it's starting and idling but as soonest I hit the gas pedal I drowns and dies. I install the new fuel filter as you recommend but it's not helping! The gas bowl it's right on point, but it's dying when I touch the gas pedal

The carb was rebuilt not even 2 years ago, what do you guys think? Anything will help 🙏

• Like 1

Primary jet plugged or mostly plugged. Not drowning I think, more likely no gas. Engine 'falls on it's face' as soon as it tries to go above the idle circuit and gets lots of air but little or no gas. This is why it works with the choke on. The choke forces an over rich condition.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Primary jet plugged or mostly plugged. Not drowning I think, more likely no gas. Engine 'falls on it's face' as soon as it tries to go above the idle circuit and gets lots of air but little or no gas. This is why it works with the choke on. The choke forces an over rich condition.

Yes, now just idles a bit rough and with just a touch to the gas pedal dies,

So can I clean the jet with out removing the carburetor or it has to come off? Are the jets the 2 plugs in front underneath the gas bowl? 

What should I do? 

Thanks

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Is this the Hitachi carb or has it been change to a Weber carb?

Is a Hitachi carburator (stock) I can see 2 hex plugs underneath the gas bowl, but I don't know if is there where the jets are! Or do I have to remove it

I am pretty sure that they are plugged, or dirty 😬

Thank you

• Like 1

Very hard to get at, I've done this with the carburetor on but getting the carb off is just as bad. Can't see what you're doing and you (or I did) need to modify a screwdriver to go up inside and unscrew the jets. I think taking it off is safer. Maybe clean the float chamber. Have a care as when the glass front comes off there is a small brass spacer that can fall off the post the float hinges on. 

Have a care also, as the primary and secondary can mistakenly be swapped. Primaries are around a 100 and secondaries around 150-160. Do one at a time

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Very hard to get at, I've done this with the carburetor on but getting the carb off is just as bad. Can't see what you're doing and you (or I did) need to modify a screwdriver to go up inside and unscrew the jets. I think taking it off is safer. Maybe clean the float chamber. Have a care as when the glass front comes off there is a small brass spacer that can fall off the post the float hinges on. 

Have a care also, as the primary and secondary can mistakenly be swapped. Primaries are around a 100 and secondaries around 150-160. Do one at a time

I just remove the carb, removed one cap at a time, and remove the float chamber cover, sprayed both side with carburator cleaner, I am about to installed again, fingers crossed🤞

Thank you! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

Did you remove the jets and clean them out?

Yes sir, I did that, I installed the carb about 30 min ago, I warmed up, and the thing is running nice haha! I can't believe how little dirt can be a nightmare! 

I took it to the freeway one I gain confidence in the highway, did 73 mph (took me like 5 min hahaha)  ran so good! 

I was wrong because a mechanic told me hes sons had a problem like that and was the ICM, oh well could be worst that those 65 dollars

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH GUYS! 👏 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, datzenmike said:

84 Nissan 720 z20s, I cleaned the jets because it was acting on me, now my carb it's flooding I didn't move the float a bit! Has new fuel filter, by the way I remove the small filter (strainer) right before the  needle valve because it's broken and teared up, do you guys thing that's causing the issue? 

I am going to put it back and see what's up, before that it was right in the meddle of the glass window!

I tried to adjust the mixture, but the gas level never moved, truck running ok, I don't know what to do now!

• Like 1
On 8/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, wayno said:

You had it apart and maybe some dirt got in the needle and seat this time, your likely going to have to clean it again.

Ill try that, clean the needle anda Seat by re moving them so I just don't keep moving dirt from one place to another, thanks

• Like 1
On 8/29/2020 at 2:48 PM, datzenmike said:

And get a new strainer that's what it's for. You can at least do this with the carburetor on.

I can't find a stained for my carburator, I went to all of the auto parts stores around my area and no one has them, I look online and not even the rebuild kit has it! Do you know where I can find one? 

• Like 1

Try Nissan dealer.

Rebuild kits probably will have them. Early were brass screen later were plastic.

That strainer was used on all the L series carburetors as well as the Z series. Find an old carburetor in a wrecking yard and pull one out.

• Like 1