Drum brake exploded view ?

Jstocks

Does anyone have a link to a 521 drum brake exploded view, I can't find the manual and I can't remember the order the backing plate bolts went in let alone the shoes and hardware It likely doesn't matter but if it's easy to do it right I'll choose that option 😉

I think the lock washer is against the bolt head side the drum but I can't remember what was on the backside of it, it's handy to take pictures before dismantling lol 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, DanielC said:

Front or Rear?

Ideally both. 

I ripped off the backing plates and all the brake parts on my way over to a sandblaster that was kind of a last-minute thing. 

So not a lot of attention to how things going to go back together was paid, it's not a rocket appliance 😆

• Like 1

Aren't they pressed in place like the wheel lugs???

Front

Bolt head is towards brake drum, goes through the backing plate, through the spindle then lock washer and nut

Rear

Bolt head is towards brake drum, goes through the backing plate, through the bearing cage, through the axle flange, then lock washer and nut. I hope you saved your copper shim pack. It fits either side but is a select fit. If missing, some measuring of axial end play will need to be done.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Aren't they pressed in place like the wheel lugs???

Front

Bolt head is towards brake drum, goes through the backing plate, through the spindle then lock washer and nut

Rear

Bolt head is towards brake drum, goes through the backing plate, through the bearing cage, through the axle flange, then lock washer and nut. I hope you saved your copper shim pack. It fits either side but is a select fit. If missing, some measuring of axial end play will need to be done.

They stayed stuck inside the backing plate, I can confirm no shims or copper parts where misplaced 🤪

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jstocks said:

They stayed stuck inside the backing plate, I can confirm no shims or copper parts where misplaced 🤪

As they should but you were asking this...

1 hour ago, Jstocks said:

Hey thanks. 

I'm curious how the backing plate bolts on, mostly the orientation of the bolt and washer combo 🤪

If the bolts are pressed on the washer has to go under the nut.

• Like 1

This sounds like you are asking about the front brake plates. 

The bottom two bolts have a piece of sheet metal under them, semi circle shaped, that have holes for the two bottom bolts, one piece of steel.  at each bolt head, there are tabs that are hammered to the flats on the bolt head, to prevent the bolt from turning.  The bolts are tightened 29 to 39 Ft-lbs.  These two bolts go into a blind hole. 

The top two bolts have lock washers on them, and also have a nylon insert to lock them in place.  Same torque as the bottom two bolts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1