bosch K-jetronic mechanical fuel injection L-20t?

natin

I have been thinking about adapting the bosch k-jet mfi system found on 70's-80's volvos, audis, vw's, porsche's, merc's to a L-series motor. it would require custom or modified manifolds but the system is very straight forward. ive seen many toyota 4x4 guys do this on there 22r's. so i know its possible.

I want to go this route because i would like to turbo this and not via draw threw sytem or the costly jdm efi. i can buy all the parts needed from the junkyard for well under $100.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiance with the system or have done this themselfs. or know of any information that could prove helpfull. thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is cis constant injection. controlled by a throttle body. the more air enters tb the more fuel is feed to contant injectors. dont know if that was what u were asking

Yes, understood. The 200sx used a flapper door like the one you describe but it's not a constant spray and has sensor input to an ECU. Probably a bit more accurate but more stuff to go wrong too.

this is something I considered for awhile, I have some drawings and pics of a manifold design based on the setup off of a rabbit. Would be easy to do, although not very good for turbo it's archaic and inaccurate, when megasquirt came out I quickly lost interest in the idea.

Good luck if you decideto do it though would be cool

ya i though it would be very diffic with a turbo as well. as for inaccuate the old factory turbo cars with this system had good power and drivability. it cant be much worse than say the old blow threw carb and turbo setup. ive seen two dyno's on toyota 22r's one with a gain of somewhere around 10 hp the other like 17hp over when carbed. so i think its well worth trying. plus it may be very inexpensive.

zuum510 did you plan on making the injector bungs or did you ever find a place that sold the bungs? i know you can remove them out of the old manifolds but after that idk. i would like a set to just weld in.

i too have been toying with this idea. VW CIS-Basic should work just fine. no computers at all like the K-Jetronic has. parts are redily available off a 77-80 rabbit, or scirocco or 80 Jetta. and its easy to tune if you ahve the ear for it. i dont see why it wouldn't work on our motors. as for turbo setups you would also need more fuel for the added air flow but that should be easy to deal with. keep me posted as i have all the parts to run this style system. also EARLY BMW, 190E Mercedes, Volvo 240s, and of course VW had it as well. VW ran it all the way up to 93 in the passats and golfjettas with the 16vs. just a whole lot more wireing on teh CIS-Motronic.

ya the parts i plan on gathering will be from a 2.0+ litre turbo motor such as a volvo 244 or saab turbo or 911 turbo. im not going to go crazy on the boost but 10-14 ish psi and monitor it with a wideband and just see what i get if it runs lean i will swap for larger fuel distributor or injectors. the thing is i cant find much info on what cis injectors flow.

ya the parts i plan on gathering will be from a 2.0+ litre turbo motor such as a volvo 244 or saab turbo or 911 turbo. im not going to go crazy on the boost but 10-14 ish psi and monitor it with a wideband and just see what i get if it runs lean i will swap for larger fuel distributor or injectors. the thing is i cant find much info on what cis injectors flow.

check vwvortex.com. there is a load of good turbo cis info there

I had a cis audi 5000 5 cyl. a few years ago. Never very reliable. Just cut out every so often or wouldnt start. Other than that I loved the car. Like a compact cadillac. I always figured if someone knew how to tune them it would be a cool idea for a L series.

I had a cis audi 5000 5 cyl. a few years ago. Never very reliable. Just cut out every so often or wouldnt start. Other than that I loved the car. Like a compact cadillac. I always figured if someone knew how to tune them it would be a cool idea for a L series.

tuning is easy. i ahve had an ASSLOAD of experience tuning CIS. all thats needed, for basic anyway, is a good ear, a 3mm allen wrench, and a 13mm wrench to tweak timing. oh and MAYBE, at least on a dub, a 7mm wrench to adjust the idle. but a wideband O2 would be a good thing.