boosting a KA24DE?

datsuntech

I am wanting to boost my KA. I want aprox 250-300 reliable hp to the rear wheels. Can this be done to a stock bottom end or do I need pistons? I really like the torque that the car makes and don't really want lag or a drop in power down low. I would like stockish power till about 3-3500 and then have the boost come on. Is this possible or is it just a pipe dream? I really have little experience messing with turbo engines, but I am a mechanic have done a few swaps and have been building datsuns for the last 20 or so years. This is to be my barely streetable/track car. Any help would be appreciated.

Brock

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was into the s13 scene I had a buddy who had a stock KA24DE running 12psi, it put down a touch over 300 to the wheels. The head gasket only lasted a few weeks, it sure hauled ass though!!!! I'd think with the right build it would last a long time. Franks KA24E running 6psi lasted a long time, and he was VERY hard on it, his KA also had the stock head gasket. Do a build and keep us updated.

Average: 300 rwhp to 350 rwhp, you have to start to expect a little more lag. This is about the perfect "street car" limit. No race gas, just good honest street car fun that is fully capable of bring home a 12 second timeslip on a good run.

Turbo Manifold

T3/T04E .50 Trim compressor, .60 trim compressor housing / Stg 3 (aka TA31) turbine wheel, .48 to .63 A/R exhaust housing. Internal wastegate optional but not recommended.

Downpipe can still be 2.5", but this is as far as I would want to push that.

Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) It's time to upgrade to a larger front mount as the larger will push more air than the smaller sidemount can cool.

Fuel Control

550cc Injectors

SAFC2 to control your fuel injectors, along with the stock ecu.

MSD BTM At this stage I would be running the BTM to control timing retard.

Reflashed ECU-This can be a DIY thing with Megasquirt Tuning or a JWT.

Z32 Maf is required, as the stock Maf stops being able to read at around 260 rwhp.

Wideband O2 Sensor should be installed for tuning.

Block Internals

This is where I would start to consider it necessary to replace you pistons. But not required

Above Average: 350 rwhp to 425 rwhp

Turbo Manifold

Blow Off Valve

T3/T04E 50 Trim .48/.63 or slightly larger turbo, this is where I would start to make the switch up to an external wastegate. You have the option to reroute it back into the exhaust, or merely "dump" it out into the open. "Dump" is usually a mini exhaust in the form of 1.5" piping routed out to the open.

FMIC Larger is starting to be necessary. Typical for setups from here on, are 12"x24"x3" for the core.

Downpipe 3", at this point I would switch to the larger downpipe. You can probably get away with it at 2.5", but it will be causing a little bit of backpressure. Moving to 3" piping as quickly as possible is what you want though. Usually it is necessary to have the first bend 2.5" to clear the steering shaft though.

Exhaust 3"

Block Internals

At this stage you'll want to "build" or fortify your block to better handle boost. Previous to this you can walk the line, but here and forward I find it necessary to do so.

Forged Rods

Forged Pistons

Stock Crank

Plus your typical rebuild items.

Fuel Control

Standalone fuel management is recommended at this stage in the game and is absolutely necessary at the next. These allow you control not only very large injectors, but the tuner to have complete control over both timing and fuel.

720cc Injectors.

Wideband O2 Sensor is necessary for tuning.

sounds like my starion's boosted 2.6. it is a lot of fun at stock boost (7pounds) its pushing 233 pounds of torque and 188 horses i imagine a boosted ka would be about the same. but in a car 1000 pounds liter now that sounds like fun . i always figured the extra torque from the ka would give a stock sr a run for its money stop light to stop light

Guest DatsuNoob

I imagine you'd just have to change up to a high flow fuel rail, and bigger injectors, bigger MAF, and tinker with the ECU settings a bit. My buddy Matt had his uncle (mechanic) tune the stock computer on his Neon to dump more fuel on a N/A 2.0L with one of those Sunpro diagnostic computer controllers. Maybe that and a wideband O2 controller could work? I'm sure Fineline made his work without spending a million dollars.

Thanks...... for the spankin'. That was like being sent to the search room:D Wow 3 1/2 hrs later I think I have a very (small) grasp on it. Looks like a small boost is acceptable, but it can quickly run out of fuel top end due to injector size. The problem is no one wants a little boost.:lol:

Thanks again for directions.

I guess what I'm asking is how much before the stock system isn't enough? 4, 6, 8lb of boost? Less?

Frank was running 6psi with only an SAFC2, it hauled ass!!! Thinking about boosting your truck? Its a 2.2 right? I think you should get the SR EFI and sensors, it would be ready for boost and all the maps would be much closer than the KA stuff. Shit up in Canada that shit is cheap too!!!

Frank was running 6psi with only an SAFC2, it hauled ass!!! Thinking about boosting your truck? Its a 2.2 right? I think you should get the SR EFI and sensors, it would be ready for boost and all the maps would be much closer than the KA stuff. Shit up in Canada that shit is cheap too!!!

Hi Jeff.

Well not likely but who doesn't think about things. It's a Z24 right now but hopefully will have KA24E EFI next summer.

What about '85 CA18ET ECU and sensors or are they still the old batch fire Bosch type?

sounds like my starion's boosted 2.6. it is a lot of fun at stock boost (7pounds) its pushing 233 pounds of torque and 188 horses i imagine a boosted ka would be about the same. but in a car 1000 pounds liter now that sounds like fun . i always figured the extra torque from the ka would give a stock sr a run for its money stop light to stop light

When I was a kid my brother had a Plymouth Sapporo with the 2.6 in it. Hauled ass whole lota torque. I always loved the Starion, but we never got them up here in Canada.

That's exactly what I want....lots of torque down low with plenty of power up top too. You know, the best of both worlds.

Brock