18r flywheel on L20b

Hi, I'm a newbie here, I have a 200b wagon that currently has an L18, and I'm about to buy an L20B but my flywheel won't work because if the bolt pattern. I also have a ratty old hilux that has an 18r. I know the 18r has 6 bolts like the L20b so I was wondering if I could use that. Cheers, Wilson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say it's doubtful. Some things like transmissions (made by JATCO) are used by Nissan Mazda Toyota. A lot of the alternators (Hitachi) are suspiciously similar from back then because it's cheaper to not re-invent the wheel all the time.

Tasmania. Have you thought about having 4 of those 5 holes welded up and then have 5 new ones added? You could continue to use your L18 clutch and PP.

I dont really want to get new holes drilled but that is a possibility, do you how many teeth are on an L20b flywheel so I can check if they are the same? I dont really have any money to spend as I'm 15 and dont have a job yet. I'm also curious as to whether this will work. Maybe I'll just have to try it. Cheers for the reply.

The flywheels were all physically 6 bolt mount but drilled and tapped for various diameter pressure plates. The 240sx were 225mm and the D21 trucks are 240mm. Be sure  when you get the matching pressure plate that you also get the matching release bearing collar or housing that holds the release bearing. It's unlikely that the one on the L18 will match the new clutch.

Thanks, lots of useful stuff to know. I compared some auto flex plates off an 18r and an l18 and the ring gear is different so for anyone else wondering, that wont work. I did find a guy with some L20b flywheels though, so I will get my hands on one of them. Thanks for your time. Wilson

If that guy has a good USED clutch to match the L20B flywheel, you should grab that too, cuz I don't think the L18 clutch will fit the L20B flywheel.....?  Also, as datzenmike pointed out, it is imperative that you get a MATCHING throw out/release bearing COLLAR (the bearing presses on the collar, the collar clips on the throw out fork)................the COLLAR matches the CLUTCH, not the transmission or flywheel etc!

L16/18s car and trucks were all 200mm with the exception (figures there'd be one) of the '74 620 L18 5 bolt flywheel that used a 225mm PP. Just that one year.

Car L20Bs and Z20 were 200mm

Car Z22E, CA20E and KA were 225mm

Truck L20B and Z22 were 225mm

Truck Z24, Z20 and KA were 240mm

If you were to get an L20B flywheel that was threaded to take a 200mm pressure plate you can always search out another 200mm PP with more clamping pressure for a larger displacement engine. Most L20B are in the 400-450Kg range but the 200mm Roadster PP is 650KG.

225mm PPs are in the 550 Kg range.

If you get a 240mm flywheel from a Z24 you can get a 300zx turbo PP with 600Kg of clamp.

My flywheel on the L18 was a bigger one from a 720 ute and it's pretty shot. I'll get one new at repco probably. You can still buy clutch kits with all the stuff I need. Cheers for all the help guys. Wilson

• 8 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, 80_200bwags said:

My flywheel on the L18 was a bigger one from a 720 ute and it's pretty shot. I'll get one new at repco probably. You can still buy clutch kits with all the stuff I need. Cheers for all the help guys. Wilson

Can't be 'bigger' only heavier. Either 21 or 29 pound. (give or take)

Flywheels can have different diameter clutch and pressure plates, depending on the mounting bolt pattern, but L16 and L18 would only accept a 200mm with the exception of the N American '74 L18 in the 620 truck that has a 225mm clutch.

L16 and L18 are all 5 crankshaft bolt. L20/Z20 and larger displacement engines are all 6 bolt crankshaft and besides 21 or 29 pound weight, could be fitted 200, 225 and 240mm clutches.