Wiper arm pivot bushing, how are they attached?

MiltonV

Hi, I'm working now with the wiper linkage and correlated parts, I have a question, how are attached the splined bushing to the tip of the pivot? By pressure? Set screw?

I don't have the original parts, PO removed them so I am considering reproducing these parts but need to have clear how they are held.

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wiper arm has a clip on the underside. Push the arm on  the spline and the clip snaps into place securing the arm. To remove the arm lift the blade of the glass, push clip away from tip and wiggle up and off.

• Like 1

Are you talking about how the wiper blade connects onto the wiper assembly or are you talking about how the piece with the teeth on it in the photo below is attached to the pivot?

001.jpg

You can see this RHD wiper assembly I have in the photo above has all the parts from the pivot out for a 521, the end piece is forced on and in the photo below it appears they put 3 dimples in the end of the pivot and 3 dimples in the end of the part with teeth to hold it in position.

005.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose this photo shows a clip but when removing a wiper arm I have never unclipped anything, I just raise the arm fully and then evenly pull straight away.

007.jpg

Fact is I don't think he is talking about the wiper arm, I believe he is talking about the piece the wiper arm connects to.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wayno said:

Are you talking about how the wiper blade connects onto the wiper assembly or are you talking about how the piece with the teeth on it in the photo below is attached to the pivot?

001.jpg

You can see this RHD wiper assembly I have in the photo above has all the parts from the pivot out for a 521, the end piece is forced on and in the photo below it appears they put 3 dimples in the end of the pivot and 3 dimples in the end of the part with teeth to hold it in position.

005.jpg

Aha! You hit the nail, that was exactly what I was asking.

So, that part enter by force and it is not supposed to be easily taken of.

• Like 1

I do not recall ever removing a 521 drive gear(thing with teeth) before, I have removed them on 320 assemblies and it was not easy.

If they were removed and you got them in a bag/box, you should be able to put them back on.

Does the pivot shaft have little teeth on it also or is it smooth?

• Like 1

That's too bad, I just read thru the thread and you do not have the original parts, I do not have any broken assemblies to tear apart and the 520/521 do not show up in the wrecking yards very often anymore, perhaps you can find another Datsun something or any other vehicle where you live that has the same bushing/head, or even something with a smaller hole thru it could be used, drill it out so it will fit your pivot and use the wiper arms from that vehicle.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1