Rear main seal

Hello good morning i have a question i want to know how hard is to replace rear main seal., i already replace the throw out bearing on the tranny and now since the tranny is out i want to replace the replace the rear main seal.. i have to remove the clutch and fly wheel right??I 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind the flywheel is the engine plate, if you take it off out of the way be sure you put it back. Drive a couple of long wood screws into the seal and pull out with vice-grips. Grease the soft inner seal lips so they won't tear or start up dry, and carefully slide over end of crankshaft. It has to go back all the way and driven into the block and the rear bearing cap. For this find a shor length of suitably sized pipe that is larger than the crank and about the size of the seal. About 3 5/8". You may even be able to borrow a tool for this if take the seal with you. This will prevent it cocking sideways.

While you have the flywheel off you could replace the $4 pilot bushing too. It's made of bronze powder, shaped in a press then heated to fuse it and oiled for life.. It's relatively soft and porous. Slit the old one down the length with a hammer and bladed screwdriver. Fish out the pieces and position the new one, protecting it with a block of wood and carefully drive home with the hammer.  

IbSIpBR.jpg

9F9rL0D.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The 240mm pressure plate bolts should be loosened a few turns at a time so the last one isn't stressed holding back the diaphragm pressure. When you install the pressure plate use an alignment tool to position the clutch disc and start all the pressure plate bolts. Tighten round and round several turns at a time to draw the pressure plate against the flywheel evenly. The finish torque should be 16-22 ft lbs. Borrow a torque wrench.

I have several of these to use as an alignment tool.

ipuFkCN.jpg

• Like 3

Another way to remove pilot bushing is the wet paper method. I just recently did this on mine. Soak some strips of paper in water, then load them in with the pilot bushing. Insert your clutch alignment tool and tap it with a hammer and it will force the bushing out. Make sure to remove all of the paper and blow out the hole. Then use the old bushing to tap the new one in. 
844-D9-D7-B-09-B7-4384-A33-F-15199-F1-BB

• Like 1

Another method, similar to Jersey's, is to pack the inside of the pilot bushing with wheel bearing grease and tap on a clutch alignment tool for force the bearing out.

• Like 1

When I removed mine I was told to use kids silly putty because it makes less of a mess. I tried it and it works well.  I have a flat punch that is the same diameter as the end of the input shaft and it popped the bearing out easily.

• Like 1

I've heard of packing the hole soft bread or grease too. All are messy and take much longer and you need something the same inner diameter as the pilot.

Slitting lengthwise with a screwdriver is faster, cleaner and no special tool needed.

• Like 1