My 74 Datsun 620 wont start

Richie

So I own a Datsun 620. Hasn’t ran in about 8 years but I got it to start one time last year. Since then it hasn’t started and the battery is dead even after about 30 mins in the car. I changed the starter but that wasn’t the problem. It makes a rumble noise when I turn the key and that’s about it. Any ideas on what it could be?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The battery is dead. Charge the battery fully first. No.... first is stop buying things for it before finding out what it needs. New starters are crap, often bad in the box and the original is better quality.

Clean the battery posts and the cable clamps. If the clamps are bad replace the cables. Check the ground on the head is secure. Check the positive cable end is clean and tight on the starter. If it still 'rumbles' pull the start wire off the starter and check the voltage with the key in the START position. It should read over 10 volts.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:21 PM, datzenmike said:

The battery is dead. Charge the battery fully first. No.... first is stop buying things for it before finding out what it needs. New starters are crap, often bad in the box and the original is better quality.

Clean the battery posts and the cable clamps. If the clamps are bad replace the cables. Check the ground on the head is secure. Check the positive cable end is clean and tight on the starter. If it still 'rumbles' pull the start wire off the starter and check the voltage with the key in the START position. It should read over 10 volts.

So update. I read the starter and every came out normal even got it tested just in case. Now the car won’t even attempt to turn and when I put my foot on the brake the car just dies. I have to do some wiring chasing now to figure out where the faulty wire in the brakes is located. 

How can putting the brakes on stall an engine that you said won't even attempt to turn with the starter????

Did you charge the battery??????????

Did you clean the posts and cables????????????

Did you check the ground connection???????????????

Did you check the start wire voltage???????????????????????????

Yes I charged the battery, checked the voltage, cleaned the grounds and cleaned all terminals. 
before I attempt to turn the engine I do one click with the key. The clock on the radio turns on. Right when I hit the brake the clock fades away. 

Some batteries that have been dead for a while will not take a charge, sure they will briefly hold some power for half an hour, but they will be dead later or the next day, I just sold 7 batteries that would not take a charge. when I put the charger clips on them I got no sparks, you will get a lot of sparks if they are good and need a charge, once they are charged fully they hardly spark at all, but I have smart chargers that know when the battery is done charging.

• Thanks 1