80 210 coilover

COOCHaDAMus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they look legit, but unsure about how they'd work on the rear. Typically this type of coilover on the rear will require strengthening and reinforcements to the shock mounts both on top and bottom. The fronts are easy, cut strut tube, weld on new threaded lower section, and now you have a truly height adjustable front coilover instead of crappy/joke adjustable spring perch "coilovers".

So once they are adjusted for ride height, because both are truly adjustable, what's the difference? Well one is $30 (and no welding) riding around doing absolutely nothing and the other is $265 ( https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/210/front-weld-coilover-kit-datsun-210 ) riding around doing absolutely nothing. I mean just how many times a week do you need to adjust your ride height anyway?

What's the point of a coilover at all if you're never going to tune, change, or adjust it?  I don't personally adjust mine much once I find where I like them, but I could never get them there without some form of actual adjustment beyond spring preload only.  The cheapest/easiest methods you preach aren't the best advice sometimes, and I'd rather let people know or understand better what they're actually looking at doing. Yeah you'll pay a little more money, but it won't be as ghetto and you'll be able to adjust height and spring preload separately, while maintaining/maximizing shock stroke, which is what most people would, or should want and expect out of coilovers.

Here's the ideal type of Datsun McPherson strut turned into coilover, but you'd be paying a lot. The gecko ones above are good too though and almost the same thing, just don't have the extra damper adjustment on bottom, which is fine for 99% of us.

79321947_3321119894624816_52133988290841

79375180_3321129104623895_63704911291875 

Edited by afracer
Typo

It comes down to cost. If you want to lower your ride height you shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars doing it when the money could be better spent on something else. I calculated the spring rate I wanted and trimmed the stock spring. I replaced the hydraulic oil with something with a thicker viscosity to firm up the damping. Hey, I get bragging rights for huge money spent on shiny colorful parts, but I can say I have the same effect for under $50 and I did it all entirely myself without a welder and only an angle grinder. In your eyes that may be ghetto but I didn't have to throw my wallet at it. It's viable option for some.

• Like 2

After going many years as a cheap skate myself, I'm happy I lived thru some of the crappy mods I did to save money. Having driven on stock suspension, lowering springs, weld on perches, cheaper coilovers, then finally good coilovers I can say that there's no comparison to good coilovers. Rather see someone do it right once than go thru the hassle to eventually realize they should've just waited and gone with what they really wanted. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, afracer said:

Here's the ideal type of Datsun McPherson strut turned into coilover, but you'd be paying a lot. The gecko ones above are good too though and almost the same thing, just don't have the extra damper adjustment on bottom, which is fine for 99% of us.

79321947_3321119894624816_52133988290841

79375180_3321129104623895_63704911291875 

What brand are these?