Here's a WTF brake problem

Duncan

I'm swapping a B210 axle into my 1200 sedan. I acquired a JY rear axle and pulled the axles out for new bearings and oil seals. I was extra careful to look for any shims or anything that needed to be put back while pulling the axles So far, so good.

I ordered all new brake parts (natch) and re-installed the axles before doing the rear brakes. I noticed the rear of the wheel studs were hitting the circular retainer springs. (I didn't look closely before I pulled the axles)

There was one shim that was between the axle housing and backing plate that was put back on, so it's exactly as it was taken apart. Note: this is only hitting on one side.

Should I hit the wreckers again and add multiple shims, or is it okay to put washers on the backside of the pins that come through the backing plate?

Here's the wheel stud rubbing the circular shoe retainer

spring:

prob.jpg

Here's the pin that holds the retainer spring with one washer, needs another to clear the back of the wheel stud:

pin.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shims between the backing plate and the axle housing are for adjusting axial end play (in and out) motion of the axle into the differential and does not change the hub to backing plate relationship.

Check your brake parts you got new against the old ones. Something is miss-matched.

Check your brake parts you got new against the old ones. Something is miss-matched.

Good point. Once I re-installed the axles back into the housing, I noticed the original ones hit, too. I'll check the originals against the other side which I haven't looked at yet. (Except I dod look and they clear quite nicely)

Thanks

I made a roadtrip out to the middle of "B.F.E." to see a couple of 1200's in a junkyard today. I grabbed the circular spring assemblies off of one of them. Sure enough, they were shorter and worked like a charm on my B210 axle.

I still say WTF, but the brakes are on and no rubbing.