Broken leaf spring damper

matrophy

Heard a clunking noise while driving and I see that what I would call a damper on PS leaf spring looks like the welds have broken. Is this something dangerous to leave alone (I would just wire it in place) or should I replace the leaf spring? I don't believe this piece can be replaced by itself as it is welded to the spring.

48943341602_d98ec828c7.jpg

Edited by matrophy
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. It's riveted to the spring from underneath and then welded to the bracket and the weld broke. Do you know if this is an OEM item or may have been added later? I am just going to replace it with a clamp just in case some kind of extra support is supposed to be there.

48943341602_d98ec828c7.jpg

I guess Nissan had a reason for those things. Looks like it might be there if the truck was to bounce up and the rear axle fall away from the body as in going over a hump. It would prevent the leaves separating as much when the top most leaf arches upwards. I mean just look at how thick those are!! Has no effect on compression of the spring as they all stack up below it.