Rust Repair Suggestions (Looking for input)

OK I am now moving to the passengers side of my 1972 Datsun 510. I have already done the drivers side just wondering if maybe there is a Better way to get this stuff done

- The floorboards are shot

- The inner rocker has some spots that are going to have to be replaced including the area around the seatbelt mount

- The rocker panel has to be replaced

Should I just brace it and replace all at the same time, or a specific order. Thanks for the advice.

here is my build thread.

*Edited to include the car information*

Edited by Aaron Datsun
additional information
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you purchased patch panels?  FutFab should have OEM repop rocker panels. DO NOT BUY the Wolf Steel/Alfa Parts patch panels, cuz they are HORRIBLE!  If you want cheap & don't mind excessive amounts of fitment issues, I think I have one of their full length DRIVERS SIDE rear 1/4 patch panels that I would love to get rid of cheap, well below their listed price........I will never use it!!  I will take no responsibility as to how bad they are.  Otherwise, buy the Australian patch panels......from "Automotive Panel Craft"!  I bought a car set, have NOT used them yet, but they "look" really nice..........100% nicer than the Wolf Steel CRAP!!

1 hour ago, yenpit said:

Have you purchased patch panels?  FutFab should have OEM repop rocker panels. DO NOT BUY the Wolf Steel/Alfa Parts patch panels, cuz they are HORRIBLE!  If you want cheap & don't mind excessive amounts of fitment issues, I think I have one of their full length DRIVERS SIDE rear 1/4 patch panels that I would love to get rid of cheap, well below their listed price........I will never use it!!  I will take no responsibility as to how bad they are.  Otherwise, buy the Australian patch panels......from "Automotive Panel Craft"!  I bought a car set, have NOT used them yet, but they "look" really nice..........100% nicer than the Wolf Steel CRAP!!

Yenpit, The car came with most of the parts needed, rocker panels, and rear fenders, I supplemented with floordboards with someone one from this community that they make (I have been happy with them) and additional panels from Futofab. I have already done the driver's side (I added a link to the first post). I just wondered if I could have done this a bit more intelligently and taken all the metal out at once which would save me quite a bit of time.

Taken from my build thread.

THe bondo was all from the passenger's foot well underneath a wicked awesome patch panel sealed with duct tape

That hole is after the bondo was removed, The back also had a good chunk of metal missing at the corner. Ohh and look at that bondo depth on the rear arch.

48905754783_39601906d3_b.jpg

48906483832_eb8b55e50b_b.jpg

48906277421_fb139e81fe_b.jpg

48905754808_59e28d67b3_b.jpg

48906277441_a723f6829c_b.jpg

Edited by Aaron Datsun
  • Sad 1

Yikes.........that's a rusty one.......BUT almost anything can be repaired!  My suggestion is that if the inner rockers are rusty, do that first, then do the floors.  Floor pans on many cars are not necessarily a large part of structural rigidity.  If the trans tunnel & roof etc are rigid, then welding in bracing is kinda overkill, but not a bod idea!  Convertibles and body shells that lift off of a frame are the ones to be more mindful of adding a lot of welded in braces.............that's my take!

TJ

• Like 1