Auto trans upshift problem

TimmyG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, datzenmike said:

Make sure that '85 has a carburetor and not EFI.

I think you're confused. It's a 1984, built 11/83. It has a carburetor. Lol. 

My running truck is also a 1984, built 12/83. 

I was born in 85! 😆

As best I can tell, the trucks came almost identically equipped from the factory aside from one being auto and one being 5 speed. Also one has the big foldable bracket mirrors. They even both have black interior, well what's left of the parts one. Anyways. You get it. 

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Stay with the pump that is on the truck.  The other is an after market of unknown pressure.  Webers like 3 PSI 4 max.

Can't really argue with that. At least I know I have a back up pump, but would need a pressure regulator. 

So here's a thought. When I changed the gaskets at the base of carb then took it for a test drive and it ran even worse than ever....

This was the first time I had run the fuel tank down to below a quarter tank and then hitting E because of all my WOT and fuel sloshing. 

Maybe there is enough rust in the tank to cause the issue at hand? Maybe that big ole dent in the tank caused it to start rusting inside. 

Now I don't regret fixing all those vacuum leaks, but I wanna get to the bottom of this. 

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I am curious as to why all the WOT?

Are you aware that the Weber 32/36 has a flat spot when you heavy pedal it?  There are many theories as to why and how to fix it but if you drive it normally you never experience this flat spot.

Since purchasing the truck I was just testing it WOT from a stop up to highway speed in top gear. That's when I noticed the problem. I just want the truck running correctly at all times. It does run better now in all scenarios except the WOT from 1st, 2nd, and trying to reach 3rd. 

The flat spot when you heavy pedal it is almost totally gone. It used to cut out hard for a moment when you floor it, or bog if you roll into the pedal quickly. Now it only seems to cut out when you floor it in 3rd above the kick down speed when it hold 3rd. 

It still won't reach 3rd gear in a drag race acceleration type scenario. It stumbles and hesitates around 5,000 rpm in 2nd and won't upshift unless you let off for a moment. I really want to correct that. I just want it running right all the time. I like solving problems even when it's frustrating. It makes me learn more. 

EDIT: Also I like to drive fast and this thing ain't fast even at WOT 😂

Edited by TimmyG
  • Like 1

Oh I absolutely agree, it should up shift properly.

Rust in the tank is what the fuel filters are for. Try to find the proper filter or rinse that one out and try to confirm it's cleaner. Then try WOT again. If it improves it shows you're on the right track.

• Like 2

Any that you can see into so you know when you need to change it.  The only reason I say that is your tank is rusted.  When you get your tank replaced you will not need it.  It really sucks when you are driving down the road and that little filter in the carb fills up with tiny rust particles.  Those filters are not available every where.

• Like 1

Haven't been able to spend much time working on the problem this week, but got this inline fuel filter on last night. Took some time to get it to fit in there well.

Also, checked and cleaned the carb filter screen again. It looked fine. 

KH18nqM.jpg

2yS5RaI.jpg

mgI6TAO.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, looks like I finally solved that 2-3 upshift problem under load at WOT.  

Changed the fuel tank, new filter at the tank, and new filter inside the fuel pump. No more cutting out or hesitation to shift at WOT. 

Also spent quite a bit of time removing rust from the entire back half of the frame, 2 coats of POR-15, and some black spray paint. 

2SaKsCV.jpg

clT4DNU.jpg

6CBcxT7.jpg

n720lnm.jpg

• Like 1