1984 Nissan 720 4x4 Weber Carb Problems

RatsunSam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoffy when I was out west there was no flying up anything with 31s. Fifth gear was level ground only. Mountain passes were done in 3rd gear and in the right lane with all the big rigs at a snail's pace. The only vehicle I could pass going up hill was a pre 1970 vw bus! This is in a 1982 with the 4.37 gears a napsz 2.4 swap with a Weber and headers. Things only got worse with altitude. I lost 3 trans to bad countershaft bearings and 1 to 5th gear walking off the shaft after the nut holding it came loose. The c series has been in the truck about 14 years and Is going strong although I have a spare I intend to rebuild. The 31s may seem tiny to you but put the stocks next to them and they seem tiny.

• Like 3

Body lifts open up a can of worms.  Steering column, clutch slave hose, wiring, and the emergency brake cable to name a few Items not addressed with the body lift kits. 

The suspesion lift raises the frame also for better frame and drive train clearance.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Stoffy when I was out west there was no flying up anything with 31s. Fifth gear was level ground only. Mountain passes were done in 3rd gear and in the right lane with all the big rigs at a snail's pace. The only vehicle I could pass going up hill was a pre 1970 vw bus! This is in a 1982 with the 4.37 gears a napsz 2.4 swap with a Weber and headers. Things only got worse with altitude. I lost 3 trans to bad countershaft bearings and 1 to 5th gear walking off the shaft after the nut holding it came loose. The c series has been in the truck about 14 years and Is going strong although I have a spare I intend to rebuild. The 31s may seem tiny to you but put the stocks next to them and they seem tiny.

Huh, I would never have guessed that the trans would be a weak point. I've owned and built many, many Datsun 5 speeds and they always worked great in the 510's I owned, but I never owned a truck with one.

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Body lifts open up a can of worms.  Steering column, clutch slave hose, wiring, and the emergency brake cable to name a few Items not addressed with the body lift kits. 

The suspesion lift raises the frame also for better frame and drive train clearance.

Both open up worm cans. The real question is - what's your budget. If cheap is the answer, then either body lift or small suspension lift. I wouldn't go more than a couple inches of suspension lift with a stock type suspension. Body lifts suck, but if that's what's in your budget...

Does anybody make a lift spindle for the 720?

Things to watch out for with suspension lift - pinion angle (rear), camber adjustment (front), shock length (too short or too long), bumpstops.

• Like 2

Ok I have had both since 1990. Well the suspension is a Jim Conner A arm lift. The suspension got rough at the 3 inch mark I run it at the 2 inch mark. This still eats tierod ends, balljoints, idler arms at a faster rate than stock. The price to pay for a suspension lift. The body lift is 2 inches. Can of worms but manageable the 3 inch would be worse. My 31s rub the back of the fenders in spite of trimming but I do have a lot of offset with the rims I have. 

• Like 3