4 speed center console help

dat620_73

So I have a 73 620 with the factory 4 speed, and a buddy of mine gave me a center console from what I assume was a 5 speed truck. The problem I'm having is if I try to install it I can't shift into 1 or 3. Is there any options for using the console with the 4 speed? The only thing I can think of is to heat the stick and bend it. I would like to use the console to put the stereo in, can't use glove box, that's where the gauges go. Is there a 4 speed compatible console?

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some pics might help....

You mentioned maybe bending the shifter.... 

I think the 620s used the 71b series transmission and they were 4 or 5spd and the same length so shifter location should be the same.....

Is the shifter correct for the 620?

If I'm right there are a couple different shifters that would work with the transmission... 

• Like 1

So the truck is at the tranny shop now getting a new clutch installed. I had a five speed sitting in my garage for years waiting for the clutch to go out so I could swap them, but the tranny guy ( giggity) says the 5 speed I have is 5-6 inches longer than the stock 4 speed and that the tans mounts don't line up. As far as the shifter they are different. The 5 speed uses a plastic bushing and pin set up, where as the 4 speed does not. I can't get pictures until it gets back.

• Like 1

The '73 620 uses a 4 speed very similar to the 510 that is 26" long.

When they went to the L18 in '74 they introduced the 71B Z car 4 speed for it's strength and it is 31.5" long. The difference is 5.5".

If you can find the shorter front driveshaft from a '74-'79 truck this should 'convert' it for use with the longer 71B 4 or 5 speed. Or pay to have yours shortened.  Get a '74 or newer transmission cross member for the mount

Trim the console and move it forward or wait till you get the 5 speed installed. Gauges in the glove box? Mount them under the dash on either side of the steering column or one of those A pillar pods. You can't properly monitors gauges over there.

• Like 2

Thanks again for the info datzenmike. As for trimming the console I think if I do, it would have to be so much that a radio would no longer fit. As for gauges on either side of the coulmn. I'm trying to keep the interior as stock looking as possible. The newer radio face will be covered by the Datsun delete plate that coves with the console

• Like 2

They made a short and long center console. Sounds like you had a 26 “ long orig 4 speed, and now you’re trying to install the longer console for the longer trans? It won’t fit in a standard cab between a bench seat and  a knee- knocker under dash AC. A short console would fit with the orig trans, but not with the longer console. The long console shift hole won’t align with the 73 tunnel hole either and then match the dash either (if the AC were removed) 

• Like 1

i’m with. Crashtd420... pics would really help tremendously. 

1973 had no dealer-installed AC, It is probably an after-market ARA under-dash unit that the dealer MAY have  installed with AC vents under the dash. You can still mount your radio in the dash with these. 

The Datsun brand AC Evaprator unit mounted on the passenger side with a smaller glove box, where you say you want to mount gauges??? The Datsun AC had center vents where the radio mounts in the dash. The radio for these had to mount in a console. 

There is a shorter earlier model center console made from foam and hard plastic that MIGHT  be able to be used with an under dash unit. But, it does not have a space to mount a radio.  If you have a true In-dash AC, and a short trans, you can probably use a 720 console that has a radio mount. 

If you post pics of the console and AC unit it would be much easier to advise you. 

• Like 1

Thanks, but I decided to go with datzenmike and trim my console. As far as the gauges in the glove box, it was going to be just one gauge, a wide band. I thought the digital look of that gauge would take away from the classic look of the interior. I have since changed my mind, and decided no gauge. And may put the stereo in the glove box. I took some pictures of the console and the knobs of the a/c controls. I would have taken better picks but tonight I found a wire behind the cluster completely melted and without its sheath sparking against the dash framing. SCARY!! So the cluster is hanging out and looks horrible. Didn't want to show that off. How do I add a picture?!? Just googled ARA, and yes that's exactly what I have.

Edited by dat620_73
Further information
  • Like 1

Right on!  You had the right length console after all. It just didn't fit with the under-dash AC hanging below the dash. The console would have fit without trimming if you had had the Nissan brand in-dash AC.  I need pics to see the issue clearly.

That's why DatZenMike is the wizard. He can see it in his head, just by description.  

22 hours ago, dat620_73 said:

I did have to end up trimming it to fit. it turned out ok. It's too shallow now to install a radio, but now i have somewhere to put my stuff.

You could even check on one of those all digital ones without a CD player... I hear those don't need as much depth to mount....

If I install a new radio in the dash I'd have to cut the radio knob holes out of the dash. That's not happening. I have the smaller transmission and the only two ways to get a center console in there would be remove the heater core, or trim the console.  The ARA under dash ac unit doesn't interfere with the console at all. 

18 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

20 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

You could even check on one of those all digital ones without a CD player... I hear those don't need as much depth to mount....

Thanks I didn't know something like that existed. I was thinking about that vintage car radio. The make one for a 73 Z. But is $400.