Valve cover gasket.

Rat baby

Hello! First post here. Been digging around here for over a year now. So helpful! My baby is a 84 720 4x4. I’ll post some pics when I can. I’m going to replace my valve cover gasket but I’m seeing two different options. With or without semi circular holes. I’m sure this is a newb question but what one do I need? Engine is a z24(s) 

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you could put a new valve cover gasket over the two old half moon 'plugs'. But why not just get everything and do it once. I would degrease and smear a small amount of black RTV on the surface the half circles fit onto, just to be sure there is no chance of a leak. The actual valve cover can go on dry over top.

• Like 1

Thank you so much datzenmike. I’m am new to working on my truck. The more I read about replacing the head gasket the more I think I should take it to the mechanic. Would hate to cause major problems. I really enjoy learning about my rig though. What repair manual do you recommend? First things first I guess I’ll clean the engine. 

5-B746-FB8-2367-4-B10-A65-D-7-AE0622-B99

• Like 2

Definitely get the factory service manual (FSM) for your year truck. Try e Bay or Amazon.

Why would you replace the head gasket???

The head gasket is not that hard if you are careful. Most important time saver is to secure the timing chain tensioner so it cannot fall out. You want this thing...

V4gFyD8.jpg

It slides down between the chain fold and blocks the tensioner so it can't pop out. I think Amazon has them.

Without it, if it gets out, the entire front of the engine must come off to recover it.

TPKjY2V.jpg

It's not a worry with that tool. The rest is just unbolting, cleaning the head and block surface putting the new gasket on an putting everything back together again.

• Like 2

Thank you charlie69. I have fallen in love with my truck. I’ll just keep learning and wrenching on it until I’m an old man. Would love to own a 320 someday. Soo sexy. 

I did a tune up and oil change a month ago. Forget what brand oil filter I used but I’ll check it out.

The build up has been there since I got the truck about 3 years ago. Never see any stains in the driveway. I’ll give it a good cleaning and go from there.  

Is there a way to check the oil pressure sender? My oil pressure gauge seems to work. Never sure if I can trust it though. 

Here is a few pics of the funk. 

You guys are saints. 

3-B848-FBF-F086-4331-9-EF9-81-D3068-A63-

AD7-BF098-1162-4791-ADF4-0-D5-BB46354-EB

• Like 1
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

That's the valve cover for sure. Power wash and change the gasket and you should be fine.

Seconded. Valve cover is so easy to do too. New half moons aren't a bad idea as well. When you install, throw a dab of RTV in between the half moon and the head so it doesn't fall down the timing cover, or else you'll have to take the whole cover off to fish it out (definitely not speaking from experience ?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Have you checked / set your valve lash lately? 0.012" on all. Do this on a hot engine

Have you re-torqued your head bolts in the last 8 months? Do this on a COLD engine.

Thats a negative on both fronts. I’ll read up on it. I saw where you posted the torque order for the head somewhere. 

• Like 1

While you are in there look at how clean the valve train looks. I just did a valve cover gasket change on my ka and things looked a little grungy. Did the seafoam in the oil trick and man the oil turned extra grungy quick and drained quick  when changed. I change my oil every 3k but the truck sits 5 months over the summer. That seems to build sludge. Engines love "CLEAN"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 85 &86 2wd Z24 5 speeds both have oxygen sensors in the exhaust factory carbed trucks with California emissions.

All the TBI Z24s I have seen have the 2 bolt air cleaner top whether 720 or D21 hardbody.

Edited by Charlie69
12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The EFI Z24i came out April '85 so it should only have one wing nut...... and the exhaust doesn't have an O2 sensor.

26 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

My 85 &86 2wd Z24 5 speeds both have oxygen sensors in the exhaust factory carbed trucks with California emissions.

All the TBI Z24s I have seen have the 2 bolt air cleaner top whether 720 or D21 hardbody.

Besides the Electro Injection Z24i (after April '85), all California emissions electronic feedback carbs have O2sensors also.

• Like 1

Really excited to do the valve cover. I’ll be checking the valve lash too.

Just need a day without rain.

Does anybody have strong feelings about how to properly clean the engine? I have gotten some conflicting info.

That said I pressure washed it two times. The first time I left her run. The second she was off.

Just curious what some opinions on this are. I got some engine degreeser but I don’t want to pollute the ground around me with that crap. Thanks

• Like 1
On 3/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, bottomwatcher said:

While you are in there look at how clean the valve train looks. I just did a valve cover gasket change on my ka and things looked a little grungy. Did the seafoam in the oil trick and man the oil turned extra grungy quick and drained quick  when changed. I change my oil every 3k but the truck sits 5 months over the summer. That seems to build sludge. Engines love "CLEAN"!

What oil? I use Shell Rotella T4, a light diesel oil with ZDDP (zinc anti scuff) levels similar to when our engines were new. ZDDP has been and continues to drop yearly as it is phased out. It's not needed by today's roller rocker cams and is bad for their catalytic converters, but we NEED it. The point I'm slowly getting to is, diesel oil is highly detergent and keeps deposits in suspension so it goes out with the oil change. I would NEVER mix seafoam with the oil to clean an engine or add to the gas. Prevention is cheaper and better than the cure.

I used a power wash to clean the outside of the engine. You NEVER get it all, so later I look and note the areas I missed and do it again next time I have the washer out. Seems like 4 or 5 times now but got most of it off and engine looks better. I do it in warn weather so I can be naked and wet with the engine warm and let sit till the next day to dry rather than driving and blowing water into other places.

• Like 1