Which coil is which, and ignition wires question

MaddieCycle

Hi - which coil is which (i.e. intake vs exhaust)?  There is one on the fender up higher and one next to the radiator down lower.  Stupid me forgot to label them when swapping wires out.

Bought a set of wires from the morons at local chain auto parts store. Mistake.  One of the coil wire boots is the wrong size.  Looking around online there are many brands/models that allegedly fit.  I have an '86 KC with Z24. Anyone have a specific link to a set that definitely worked and is good quality? OEM is close to $200 when you include the coil wires. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learned this trick from an old mechanic. Get some 1'2" or larger phone wire and cut it into 8" lengths and put them away. Any time you are going to disassemble something pull a small wire out of the bundle, cut it in half and wrap it around each half of whatever you are taking apart. They are all color coded and no two are the same. Also wouldn't hurt to get a Haynes or Chilton manual. Your generation always searching for a quick online answer instead of developing good work habits.

Good luck.

Dude super not helpful answer, not sure what "generation" you think I am but suffice to say I did my first tune up 32 years ago when I got my first car and I've owned and worked on more than 15 cars & motorcycles since then.  Had a busy week and yup, made this mistake.  I've got the factory service manual for the truck.  Neither it nor the parts fiche indicate which is which.  Glad you had time on a Friday night to post a non-helpful reply.

6 hours ago, MaddieCycle said:

I did my first tune up 32 years ago when I got my first car and I've owned and worked on more than 15 cars & motorcycles since then.  

32 years of experience working on vehicles & MC ? cool story dude. 

since your a newby here on Ratsun, don't be a dick towards other members when their trying to help. If a comment bothers you, move on. :) 

good luck, were all rooting for you. lol

It's actually not critical which coil is which. They both fire at the same time and the coils are identical. If it helps, I think the coil which is higher than the other is the intake side, but again the engine will never know the difference. The FSM is the bible for working on any Datsun of Nissan and is specific to your year and model. Others cram all all 6 1/2 years of 720s 5 possible engines into a condensed book 1/3 the size. 

• Thanks 1