720 engine swap

720_potter

I'm looking to swap my Nissan z24 engine to something with a little more power, say as in a 240sx engine. I want some expert advice on what 240sx engine would bolt right up to the automatic transmission I have in my 720 truck as in the year. If I was given the year of the engine than I could do the rest of the research. It's a 1984 Nissan 720, z24, 2.4L, automatic transmission.

Thanks, sincerely Cameron Potter

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The D21 Hardbody KA is a better fit. It's also a truck engine and the oil pan shaped for front steering, unlike the car one. Additionally the truck engine doesn't have the car crank girdle in the way and is lighter. The car EFI wiring is separate from the car harness and easier to remove complete where the truck EFI wiring is part of the main harness. The truck intake is easier to convert to carburetor if you choose

The KA engines will bolt to the 720 standard transmission, I don't see why it would not bolt to a 720 automatic. You would need everything behind the crankshaft from the 720..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The D21 Hardbody KA is a better fit. It's also a truck engine and the oil pan shaped for front steering, unlike the car one. Additionally the truck engine doesn't have the car crank girdle in the way and is lighter. The car EFI wiring is separate from the car harness and easier to remove complete where the truck EFI wiring is part of the main harness. The truck intake is easier to convert to carburetor if you choose

The KA engines will bolt to the 720 standard transmission, I don't see why it would not bolt to a 720 automatic. You would need everything behind the crankshaft from the 720..

So would any KA engine bolt up to my transmission or certain ones

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Use the truck engine as Mike suggested. Then if you want the car intake and EFI, it's an easy bolt on procedure.

The truck engine makes for the least painful swap.

So I was looking at the d21 ka and the 240sx ka. They both look like the exact bolt pattern for my transmission

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Go with the truck KA24 not the 240.   You have to modify the oil pan heavily and can easily run into oiling issues afterwards.  Truck KA24 bolts right up to the transmission and clears the axle.  Just have to slightly modify the engine mounts. There are several threads here that cover all of this.  

I'm currently doing this swap right now.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:15 PM, 720_potter said:

So I was looking at the d21 ka and the 240sx ka. They both look like the exact bolt pattern for my transmission

Yes, use the truck motor. Much easier swap, and if you have to have the car intake, swap it onto the truck motor.

The car intake is nicer looking and probably works better. The truck intake easily lends it's self to an adapter plate and a large 2bbl carb if not interested in EFI  (the truck EFI wiring is integral with the main harness and hard to separate anyway) The #13/14 harness is separate and on it's own.

While the 720 5 speed will fit up to the KA engines they are nowhere near as strong, so if possible get the matching 71C transmission.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ShutterMeShort said:

Go with the truck KA24 not the 240.   You have to modify the oil pan heavily and can easily run into oiling issues afterwards.  Truck KA24 bolts right up to the transmission and clears the axle.  Just have to slightly modify the engine mounts. There are several threads here that cover all of this.  

I'm currently doing this swap right now.

Keep us posted on progress. If 4wd there is no stock pan to fit. Pan is a hybrid between ka and naps. If you are keeping power steering that is a fun mix and match of pumps and hoses. Radiator hoses same thing. 89-90 intake bolts up fine. Ports don't match up well but it runs ok. Air intake use stock 240. No room for aftermarket cold air kits. Replace all coolant hoses under intake manifold because near impossible to see/reach after engine installation. More fun and games but worth it in the end.

• Like 1