Replacing steering box

Trackside

1980 720 single cab. It was in a collision, replaced many front end parts, but there is lots of play in the steering. I have access to a 1982 720. Will this steering box be compatible? 

I'm wondering how much labor this will be, what tools are required, and if I need any new fittings.

Any advice on cleaning the replacement would also be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, the only differences are power steering or not.

You will need a pickle fork or better yet, a tie rod end puller to get the joint out of the pitman arm. If you want to swap pitman arms, you'll need a pitman arm puller. I have a nice Snap-On puller that cost about $350, but you can get cheap ones for much less. Sometimes the cheap ones don't actually fit between the box and the arm though, so check that first.

Cleaning the box? Spray it down with Purple Power and pressure wash it off. If it is a power steering box, plug the inlet and outlet first. If it's really caked on, scrape it off with a screwdriver or putty knife first then spray it down to soak for a while. A brass wire brush helps get the gunk off without damage to the finish.

• Like 1

Check to see why you have play, maybe one of the steering gear mount bolts broke, maybe the idler arm got broke or a mount bolt broke on it, have someone turn the wheel back and forth while it is on the ground and see what moves and what doesn't move that should  move.

Check the rag joint on the steering box connection also, it may be damaged, I just do not see the steering gear itself being the issue if it was not an issue before, it is more than likely something else in the front suspension that is loose or broken.

Where in Washington are you?

• Like 1

I recently had the front left idler arm and steering stabilizer replaced at a shop. When I got it back and drove it a few blocks I noticed there was still play in the steering. I took it back to the shop, did some inspection with a mechanic and he showed me there was too much play in the steering column, suggested messing with the steering box adjustment. I adjusted it a few times; the steering gets harder, but the front end still wanders around. 

• Like 1

The steering ratio is about 16  19 to one. Nineteen wheel turns to one tire turn. In reverse, just 1/8" of combined ball joint/idler arm, wheel bearing and steering box looseness becomes 2.4" of steering wheel play. All the combined wear adds up. Check that the wheel bearings are properly pre-loaded and are not excessively loose, check ALL the steering ball joints, then the idler arm. Have you adjusted the play in the steering box????? Lift the front wheels off the ground and tighten the adjustment. Spin the steering from lock to lock quickly with the engine off so you can feel any tight spots. If you find a tight spot loosen till gone. Boxes tend to wear in the middle or straight ahead position. If you remove the play here it may be too tight at either full lock, which is bad.

• Like 1

Check how much play the 82 has you have access to, if tight use that one, should be the same unless a power steering box, then you will have to change more than just the steering gear.

The tierod on the arm needs to be removed from the arm first, then the column ragjoint connection to the steering gear, then the 3 bolts holding the steering gear onto the frame, it is harder to do if the rock guard is still in position.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Trackside said:

It's had new tires put on since the collision. Besides being more heavily worn on the insides of the tread on the front tires due to the play, the wheels are fine.

If the tires are wearing on the insides, your alignment is off, or something is bent. Out of spec toe can cause wander which can feel like "play". Get the alignment done and you will likely find the cause of the wander.

One more thing. depending on how bad the crash was, there may be cracks that you can't see in the frame, or in the suspension mounting points. These can obviously cause steering issues.

• Like 1