Cam identification

obrut

I have a cam that I don't have any specs on.  It is for a 4 cylinder L series, it has no oil holes drilled in the lobes and has a red stripe on it.  The cam is marked 420  00 on the back and looks like it has provision for mechanical tach drive.  It does have the two large squares like a L20B cam.  The other markings on the cam are CWC I-5  0-1  K 304  D1

I will try and post some pictures when I find a place to host them, thanks for any help

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Hainz on that one (hot race cam), but only a degree wheel will say for sure.
Definitely not a street cam, and would need really good springs, higher compression pistons, and really good rods to run to it's potential, with out grenading your engine.

Is it marked with electric pencil or is it stamped? Easy enough to measure lift with a pair of calipers.

Sounds like a Cal Cams cam to me, but undrilled... ? Race came for sure. And tach drives were popular way back in the 70's and 80's so it may be a piece of vintage racing history you've got there!

Now here's a gross generalization that can help when deciding to use a cam or not: a large cam ground for an L16 is going to be "smaller" when used in a larger engine

DSC07746.jpg

This is what I run, been on there for a year or so now.
Spring clamps are the double layer type that Toyota uses on some of their FI applications.

Hose is FI hose.

Just went under the cam cover last week to check valve clearance, and nothing had moved.

• 5 weeks later...

So I measured the cam lobe and its 1.465" and the base circle is 1.055 so that's .410" lift.

Is that the lift or is it .410" x 1.5 for the rocker arms and then its .615" lift?

I thinks its .615 because my L18 cam is 1.585 - 1.300 = .285 x 1.5 = .427 

My l16 cam measures 1.575 - 1.300 = .275 x 1.5 = .412  which seem to line up with the specs in the books.