81’ 210, i broke her... HELP

zacc

i was snow drifting today, and my car started to act like it wasn’t getting gas. alarming, so i called it quits and started home. now it won’t idle, but when it gets to around 2500 rpm it smoothens out. i’m thinking head gasket... any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crud in the fuel tank from moving side to side alot dislodged and sucked up into fuel line, maybe went far enough up into the carb and clogged passages.

If it idles by spraying small steady stream of Starting Fluid or Carb Cleaner than the fuel got fouled.

Filter should prevent this but some sediment precipitates out into the fuel bowl and stays there for years without problems. It could get stirred up and get into something. I've done this same thing and it may have been water from condensation. Today's fuels have too much alcohol in them and water is held in suspension. But back in the day it could. It would pass the filter and get sucked into the carb. I found driving the car HARD sucked it through and the idle and performance returned shortly.

Find the idle cut solenoid and the idle mixture screw locations. The mixture screw will be in the base of the carb on the valve cover side.  (later carb vehicles are set at the factory and sealed over with an aluminum plug, at least the 720 trucks are so we'll have to see...) Idle cut solenoid is a hex shaped thing with a Red wire to it.

Remove the idle cut screw, but count the turns so it can be replaced in the same setting. The idle cut is spring loaded and has a tapered pin that can and will fall out if you let it so watch for this. With both removed, get a can of carb spray (get one with a red straw) and spray alternately into the idle cut and the idle mix holes several times. It should shoot out the two holes. This shit stings if you get in the eyes. Now put the idle mix screw back in and continue to spray the idle cut. This will force any dirt back into the float chamber. Replace the idle cut solenoid and give it a try.

• 1 month later...