Body side molding clips

jimbar99

I have the body side  moldings for my 320 but no clips. There are holes where the clips belong. Can someone fill me in on what type of clip is used? I consulted the Datsun parts manual but it doesn't detail the clips at all. The datsunparts website has exterior trim clips for the roadster but I'm not sure that's what I need. Does it look familiar? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2776.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It kinda depends on what year trim you have, I have the 62/63 trim same as the 67 Datsun Roadster so I can order clips from a Roadster supply place like Ralleye, Datsunparts, ect; I do not recall if the Roadster had really wide trim like the 65 Datsun L320 has, all you can really do is measure your trim which I believe is around 3/4s of an inch on the inside, and ask that place if that is the size of their clips, by the way all the NL320s have a different size trim only used on the V, NL, and U models, the L320s had two different types, early and later.

Also I have found that auto paint stores usually have a selection of trim clips to choose from, but normally I just make my own out of metal and screws which I weld to the metal as Fowler mentioned, my 320 I am working on now I am using washers and a screw, but that is just temporary as if/when the screw rusts it will be hard to remove them as they will just spin in the trim.

• Like 1

OK, I found these clips in my stash, the NL320 uses these type clips, this is a clip for the 1965 Datsun L320 type trim, I understand that the doors and fenders on a 1965 L320 use a bolt/nut type trim mount, but I would at least try this type to see if it will work.

The NL320 use these type clips where access is not available, specifically all the rear box side trim pieces except for the front and rear mounts on these trim pieces, the rear mount is accessed thru the taillight mount hole, and the front is accessed by reaching way up there between the cab and gas filler housing.

002.jpg

003.jpg

I believe that I bought these clips at the auto paint supply store, I am going there tomorrow to look for smaller ones, I will also look for the more traditional type.

• Like 1

Wayno, I don't see any pictures in your post so it's a little unclear.

I will have to do some measuring but if the clip is that simple I can make some easily enough. Maybe a trip to the auto paint supply store is in order first to see what they've got. Hadn't thought of that.

My 320 is a '65 on the title but maybe actually built in '64 so that doesn't make it any easier.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Well there is a couple photos of a 65 trim piece with a wire side molding clip in it, the second photo has a box full of wire clips, a wire clip, and the trim piece with the wire clip in it also.

Search "side molding clips" and "side molding wire clips", I believe your 65 trim has 1" side molding clip type, I do not know what size trim the 64 had, at one point I thought there were 4 different sized trim types for the 320s, but I only have 3 different examples, early/late L320 and V, U, and NL320 type.

I am unsure which way to spell molding/moulding as it is spelled both ways, search ebay also for examples, I am not saying to buy there, but they have a lot more photos of clips. 

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

OK, I found these clips for mounting my side trim, they make all sorts of sizes, both these sizes in the photos below will fit my 1/2 inch wide narrow trim, the smaller one came from the auto paint store, and the larger one came from Parkrose Hardware of all places, they also had larger wire type clips that would not fit my trim piece, but they likely have the 1 inch size wire clips.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I like the wire clips for hard to reach places like in the doors, put one or two of the clips above on the end/ends to hold the trim solid in place so it doesn't move forwards or backwards and use the spring clips on the rest of the mount holes as getting the washer, lock washer, and nut in place can be a bitch sometimes.

If you cannot see my photos, try another browser or someone else's computer, I am using Postimage and Google Chrome, it's sad what has happened to forums and the published photos on them forums over the last 3/4 years.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

jimbar99, you might refer back to this Ratsun thread if you're using Google Chrome to possibly fix your 'PostImage Problem'. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/72848-fix-for-photobucket/

It worked for my laptop.

As Wayno posted, the PostImage issue 'threw a big wrench into the spokes' for a lot of forums.

Thanks for all the good info. It turns out that I can see the pics on my Android phone but not in the Chrome browser on my desktop computer. At work our corporate network blocks a lot of sites and attachments as we build both commercial and military flight simulators so it is pretty locked down. It's unfortunate that a lot of older posts on various forums have links to photos that no longer exist on third party photo hosting sites so I try to save copies to my local computer of any pics that I think might be beneficial in the future.

You all have presented a lot of options and given me a lot to consider. The clips seem attractive as they might be easier to deal with than the alternative. I'm thinking I should just take a piece of trim to the auto paint store and see what they've got.

1 hour ago, jimbar99 said:

Thanks for all the good info. It turns out that I can see the pics on my Android phone but not in the Chrome browser on my desktop computer. At work our corporate network blocks a lot of sites and attachments as we build both commercial and military flight simulators so it is pretty locked down. It's unfortunate that a lot of older posts on various forums have links to photos that no longer exist on third party photo hosting sites so I try to save copies to my local computer of any pics that I think might be beneficial in the future.

You all have presented a lot of options and given me a lot to consider. The clips seem attractive as they might be easier to deal with than the alternative. I'm thinking I should just take a piece of trim to the auto paint store and see what they've got.

The auto paint stores is a good start. Also hit any auto collision repair and restoration shops in your area. Most shops will have a junk bin with uncountable clips and hardware to go through, if you can talk them into letting you have a look. They may also have a shelf or cabinet with clips still in original container (stock # identification) that are left from a job. Many times there are clips left from having to buy a package quantity from the supplier.

I actually bought some spring clips last night off ebay for my early 1/2" side trim, I am hoping they are the proper size as I can't seem to find it around here.

I second paint place I went to said that spring clips are old technology and are not popular anymore, they said they could order them but they didn't stock them anymore, she also went on to say that they carried hardware for more modern vehicles here, I will admit that she also suggested I try Parkrose Hardware, so I left that place with a neutral attitude this time.

Spring clips have their uses, they also are a lot cheaper($13.00 for 20 of them), but in the end the factory only used them when there was no access to the area behind the hole.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 4:23 AM, difrangia said:

jimbar99, you might refer back to this Ratsun thread if you're using Google Chrome to possibly fix your 'PostImage Problem'. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/72848-fix-for-photobucket/

It worked for my laptop.

As Wayno posted, the PostImage issue 'threw a big wrench into the spokes' for a lot of forums.

The problem was PhotoBucket not Post Image.

My spring clips arrived a while back, they were the proper size, but I am busy doing other stuff to my 320 and have not messed with them yet.

116.jpg

They should work the way I thought they would work, I will deal with it before making door cards and installing them.

I did not mean to make it sound like Postimage was the problem with posting images on here, it has been an issue for quite some time, over the years it has gotten harder and harder for new members to post photos and for me also at times, I suspect it has something to do with all the different types of computers out there now and all the photo hosting sites trying to deal with it, Photobucket or as I call them Photolame really screwed up and they removed the CEO that made the big policy change, they screwed up way before that, but they are not what I was talking about when I said, "it's sad what has happened to forums and the published photos on them forums over the last 3/4 years", I cannot see half the photos on this forum in some threads and it appears that I can see photos and others cannot see them sometimes and it is not Photolame that is the issue, it is likely because there is no standard/common way to publish photos with all these different computers, I have concluded that what I see on my screen when I go to say Postimage is not what others see when they go to the same photo hosting site using their hand held computer, so no matter how hard anyone tries to explain how to publish a photo to them it does not help, but it is easy enough for us to copy and post the photo using the link they provided for them on most sites except flicker or is it imagur(I cannot remember which one is the pain), yes Photolame/Photobucket is terrible photo hosting site, even now their logo makes it hard to see details in some photos, I like Postimage for this site/forum, but I have a desk top computer, I have Windows7 professional, and I use Google Chrome, it does not take me very long to take a photo, put it on my computer, transfer it to Postimage, and then copy it and post it here, but when I had Windows10 it was a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I went down to the auto parts store and got some plastic push molding fasteners, like this, but I can't say these are the exact right size: https://m.dhgate.com/product/100pcs-7-5mm-hole-plastic-door-rivet-push/410854882.html#pd-112

I cut two edges flat so that they would slide in the channel. Pushed them in. If i need to remove them, I'll cut them off from the inside and get more.

Cheap, easy, and won't cause rust. They've lasted for 10 years now, and they aren't loose or anything.

Cheers.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:58 AM, jimbar99 said:

I have the body side  moldings for my 320 but no clips. There are holes where the clips belong. Can someone fill me in on what type of clip is used? I consulted the Datsun parts manual but it doesn't detail the clips at all. The datsunparts website has exterior trim clips for the roadster but I'm not sure that's what I need. Does it look familiar? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2776.1.jpg

That looks in the ballpark. Can you get a measurement on it and see if it fits the channel behind your trim? And didn't trim come in two widths, a slimmer one and a fatter one?