Datsun 620 headlight switch help.

motavated

I took of my 1974 620 headlight switch off and I dont know how to put it back! It has like this metal box, headlight switch, the screw, and a plastic spacer. How does it go together? I'm a missing something? Thanks!

Edited by Motavated
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my '78 I think you pull the shaft on the switch to the on position, push it through the dash hole, screw the washer on, then grab the shaft with needle nose pliers so it can't move, put the knob over the end, push in and twist to lock it in place. Make sure and turn the knob so the image on it is the right way up.:D

I have a couple of 521 pickups. The three switches on the dash are similar in design and mounting. They all have a switch body that holds the wires, and a threaded part that goes through the hole in the dash, and a chrome nut that threads on to the threaded part. On some switches, the shaft moves in and out, on others the shaft turns, or sometimes both.

There is a screw that goes up into the shaft that holds the knob on to the switch.

Your headlight switch prrobably mounts the same way as the heater fan switch mounts to the dash.

On my 521's there is also a plastic spacer. The plastic spacer goes on the switch first. Then you insert the switch threaded part through the hole in the dash, without dropping the spacer. A thin washer then goes over the threaded part, and then the chrome nut screws down, holdintg the switch body against the spacer on the backside of the dash. Then the knob is installed.

I used a little WD-40 on the switch shaft where it goes into the switch mount, (the threaded part). I sprayed the WD-40 on the shaft of the switch, worked the switch several times, and got some gunk out of the switch, wiped that off with a clean rag, reapplied the WD-40, and repeated working the switch, and wiping the dirty gunk off, until the switch shaft is clean. The switches work a lot easier now, and there is less of a chance of breaking the knobs.

Edited by DanielC