521 1600 Daily driver

So I just got this one stuffed into the garage and I am VERY excited! This will open up some more possibilities for the 521 1300 project I have next to it... gives me more time to decide what I want to do.

It runs but badly... I will dig into it tomorrow, and if worse comes to worst, I'll throw in the L20b and rebuild the L16 cause I want to keep it. So without further delay heres the teaser pics!

P8240618.jpg

P8240619.jpg

P8240620.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HA! This is so stupid its funny... I already found out why it barely runs. The head had some work done to it though I'm not exactly sure what, and well whoever put the damn thing back together was an IDIOT and I hope you are reading this if it was you... for one the valves were too tight, not a big deal but it gets better, the cam was installed 180* UPSIDE DOWN! :eek: :blink: :mellow: :D :lol: :rolleyes:

So I got a pretty damn good score cause the guy I got it from, got it from the guy who "fixed" it and they both gave up on it ever running. I will take pics of this tomorrow for all to see.

Crank pulley lined up at TDC, dizzy spindle lined up at 11:25, #1 valves pointing down instead of up, and cam pulley "window" pointing down instead of up also.

well shes alive... heres something to think about (albeit embarassing). When I got the idea that the cam was 180 off, I went back and rethought things, then I turned the motor over one more half revolution so the crank lined up TDC and viola' cam was TDC too. :lol: Half the valves were too tight still so I adjusted the valves and tried to fire her... no go. :blink: hmm, sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and she fired right up, then died, I pumped the gas a few times, fires up and then dies, its not getting fuel but the accelerator pump is working. OK. SO, I check the idle cutoff solenoid and its getting power, and its from the coil like it should be, good... I guess. :mellow: I pull off the fuel line to the carb and pull off the fuel pump and pump it manually and its good... so its gotta be the carb, well the only good carb I got at them moment that I can bolt on is my weber in the 620... bolt it on and she runs! Although with no exhaust she sounds like an airplane... so the neighbors hate me!! :lol: :lol:

Edited by zuum510
  • 2 weeks later...

New pics... the truck is sitting on 15x8s rear and 15x5s front... no its not a drag truck, just what I had laying around... it is gonna get stock steelies with hub caps.

P8260626.jpg

P8260627.jpg

Still need a carb for it, and a battery, and the exhaust welded back in... then she will be on the road.

Today I had to pull out the dash to get the piece of crap 2 knobber (aftermarket) out (didn't work anyway).

The truck came with the package tray everyone seems to want, and I will be selling it... but not quite yet, need to use it for another project... damnit I have too many "little projects"

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the brakes all fixed up, new battery, and my R1 carb manifold will be done tomorrow... I just gotta get some silicone hose (or rubber may be better because of the fuel) jets are now the proper size ( as a starting point) for the 1600, so now the only thing I need to do is repair the exhaust system (lack of). I put the stock wheels and caps on, looking forward to taking her down the road for a real drive.

I was considering putting in the L20b cam, anything I need to do to accomplish this? Just readjust the valve lash, do I need to use the lash pads or valve springs from the L20?

sounds like the idle jet in the carb still could be pluged with dirt.

Some 521s have a BCDD valve or something with a wire running to the ballast resisitor to get power but that is not the Idle cut off circut. As the L16 didnt have the dieseling proplem as the later L20 open chamber heads(emissions)

I didnt know 521s had idle cut off selinoids in those year carbs(maybe the later L20 powered car/trucks in the first place.Are your sure?

also if cam was off 180 it would Lock up on a valve!!!!!!!!!!!

521 is common for dirt to get in the tank due to the gas hose in the wheel well and get behine the gas filler tube and dirt gets past the filter to clog up the idle jet.

If you go above idle does it still run? Yes then its the idle jet. If No the main jet could be plugged also.

Another thing you can try is feather the trottel to get the motor running of the Acell pump then open the seconday flap on the carb slightly then see if its running. If yes then you know its the main jet side.

What happen to me and jeff is someone adjusted the main mixture screw(on main jet off)

I backed it out/in then it ran fine.

So maybe turn it in all the way and back it out 1/2 turns and see if its that.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The carb is off of an unknown source, came with the truck but it's not stock, it's rebuilt by recarbco, I disassembled it at used the top off of one of my l20b carbs, it runs now idles better than the weber, but after warming up if you rev it the carb won't idle back down even with the choke disabled... Well I figured out that I let the little ball and spring fall out, I have them but I'd rather get my individual carbs going... Plus I don't know where they go, and the explode diagrams of the hitachis I have don't show where it goes

sounds like the idle jet in the carb still could be pluged with dirt.

Some 521s have a BCDD valve or something with a wire running to the ballast resisitor to get power but that is not the Idle cut off circut. As the L16 didnt have the dieseling proplem as the later L20 open chamber heads(emissions)

I didnt know 521s had idle cut off selinoids in those year carbs(maybe the later L20 powered car/trucks in the first place.Are your sure?

also if cam was off 180 it would Lock up on a valve!!!!!!!!!!!

521 is common for dirt to get in the tank due to the gas hose in the wheel well and get behine the gas filler tube and dirt gets past the filter to clog up the idle jet.

If you go above idle does it still run? Yes then its the idle jet. If No the main jet could be plugged also.

Another thing you can try is feather the trottel to get the motor running of the Acell pump then open the seconday flap on the carb slightly then see if its running. If yes then you know its the main jet side.

What happen to me and jeff is someone adjusted the main mixture screw(on main jet off)

I backed it out/in then it ran fine.

So maybe turn it in all the way and back it out 1/2 turns and see if its that.