Sign in to follow this  
drb5721

Z22 head bolts

Where do you guys get your headbolts when replacing head gaskets?

No need to replace them, the head bolts for the Z series engines are totally reusable as long as they are not damaged. Just clean and wipe with an oily rag.

• Like 1

I have a broken bolt in one head and its spewing coolant externally so i will have to replace atleast 1

Try Nissan dealer. Or take one of the good ones to a machine shop or try Fastenal USA

799 W Charlotte Ave, Mt Holly, NC 28120, USA

1 704-822-0415

• Like 1

I'd just go with ARP studs. Best thing I ever did on the head of my R16. Significantly more clamping force.

That's killing a mosquito with a cannon. Stock bolts are more than you will ever need. Is this a turbo engine? nitrous? 12:1?

• Like 1

Who cares? Extra clamping force on a head gasket. Done deal.

You also significantly reduce the risk of stripping the threads on the aluminum head. 

• Like 1

You also significantly reduce the risk of stripping the threads on the aluminum head. 

Stripping threads in aluminum? The block is iron.

In all my years of building Datsun racing engines, I used ARP studs about 5 times. They are completely unnecessary. If you want to spend the money, fine, but I'd rather spend the money in other areas that actually need attention.

What's the saying? A solution looking for a problem.

...if you follow the sequence and torque specs, no extra clamping force necessary.

...if you follow the sequence and torque specs, no extra clamping force necessary.

Who doesn’t follow the torque specs and tightening pattern on head bolts? You’d be an idiot not to.

There are numerous advantages of head studs over bolts. Look it up. Since the stud is not being moved rotationally as it’s tightened, all the clamping force is exerted in the axial direction as the nut is tightened.

With head bolts, there is rotational friction in the block as the torque gets higher and you end up with less clamping force at the same torque spec.

Uniform consistent clamping load across the head gasket. Less chance to fuck it up. Sounds horrible.

If this was a turbo, nitrous or SC probably the advantages would outweigh the cost. Right now it's $4 vs. $150 for doing the same thing.

Nissan # 11056-H2301